Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily pull off freeway exit, heard loud moaning from power steering.

Pop the hood and the fluid was foaming and coming out of the reservoir cap.

Did an immediate drain and the filter in the reservoir doesn't look clogged.

Did my power steering pump just take a dump? And if so, how long does it take to replace?

Anyone have this issue? Gonna get it towed back to the casa

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Power steering reservoir...no coolant involved.

No leaks anywhere else. All power steering fluid loss is out through PS reservoir cap

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Sounds like you were low on power steering fluid and it overheated. Bet you will find that you have a leak. Probably nothing damaged but you will end up replacing a line or the power steering pump.

Fill it, clean it up, and watch it. Bet you find a leak.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Power steering fluid was full, I just checked 2 days ago. Now it's not because it boiled out...

Hmm I'll refill and see what happens

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting response and thanks for the assistance!

The moan came out if nowhere...usually pumps go out over time I thought but hey, it's a land rover haha

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Agree. Usually you will notice a groaning when turning the wheel near to the stop. It will be a bit low and you will add some fluid and then it will go away - for a while. Then it comes back and you add fluid again. And eventually you replace the pump or a line.

If it is a leak though, handle it promptly. I bought my daughter a Mercedes ML320 and she had a small power steering leak that went unattended (lives in another town). When she finally got it fixed, it had dripped down on some electrical elements of the air conditioner and it cost her an arm and a leg to get it all fixed. So I guess the stuff is corrosive. Knew brake fluid was corrosive but not innocuous power steering fluid. Lesson learned.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
After I reassembled mine after doing head gaskets, I had an issue with the fluid aerating and having high steering effort. After a couple days of looking I noticed a small leak under the vehicle. The pump inlet hose had a small leak. Not enough for it to drip, but enough for it to suck air.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So here's the deal. Take and get a new section line from the reservoir to the pump. Most likely you are sucking air in from hole in the line. This happened on my father semi truck and I replaced the soft line. They were hard as a rock and broke when removed. The air will simulate low fluid and will make it loud. When I reassembled my Land Rover I flushed the whole system. I took a small drive belt and a drill and spun the power steering pump. Remove the reservoir first and clean it all the way and then put the suction line on. Get your fluid of choice and put some in the reservoir and find a friend. Keep fluid in the reservoir and spin the pump. Have a container to catch the fluid coming out of the pump. Run in till only clean fluid comes out then put the return back on and fill the reservoir. I used prestone European synthetic fluid, it was green but seems to be working well. After, you can strain the old be amazed by how much trash was in the system. How it works out for you.

Mike Russell

Age 20

2003 discovery se

Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thinking sediment and fluid loss as making the extremely loud moan noises. Nice! I honestly have no clue about power steering. I've replaced head gaskets and everything without question but this somehow is new territory

I'll flush on Saturday, any problem not using ACE power steering fluid?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The owners manual says use a gm# equivalent which is the prestone conventional power steering fluid. I choose the synthetic over the non just for longevity. The original hose clamps can be reused if your careful. Pop them with a small screwdriver and reinstall with needle nose pliers.

Mike Russell

Age 20

2003 discovery se

Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting, the filter is internal in the reservoir. I wkndrr if thats what the problem is. Time for some solvent. That would make a crap ton of sense...

Essentially I wonder if the pump was pump fluid into the reservoir and it wasn't draining fast enough creating a deficit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Same with the BMW's. Their filter screen sits on a pedestal in the bottom of the reservoir and is secured with a torx screw. But it's larger than the fill hole and the top and bottom are welded together. I use brake cleaner.

The only way for air to get into the fluid is for air to get into the fluid. It's a closed system and the gases in our atmospheric air aren't soluble in hydraulic fluid. You have a leak on the suction side. A clogged filter will cause a higher level of suction to occur as it is restricting fluid flow, so most likely it's pulling air in between the reservoir and the pump- most likely through a very small hole in the hose, or a loose clamp.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
CT090 The only way for air to get into the fluid is for air to get into the fluid. It's a closed system and the gases in our atmospheric air aren't soluble in hydraulic fluid..[/QUOTE said:
Well that clears thing up l.o.l.:wink

I would agree that it sounds like a restriction (likely the resivor screen). If there is not enough fluid entering the pump it will cavitatie and aerate the fluid.
Really the only reasonable explanation for aerated fluid ...... Yes fluid mixed with "atmospheric air"
I would remove the resivior clean the inside screen with solvent /varsol or brake clean. Fix any leaks of course (but it doesn't sound like you have any) refill and bleed the system.
Good luck
Let us know how your weekend goes

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I seem to agree with this diagnosis. Any particular right way to bleed the system once I add fluid? Is it just a general "turn wheel to lock 6-9 times left and right"?

Solid help everyone THANK YOU! Oh our love for these things

·
Registered
188 Posts
I seem to agree with this diagnosis. Any particular right way to bleed the system once I add fluid? Is it just a general "turn wheel to lock 6-9 times left and right"?

Solid help everyone THANK YOU! Oh our love for these things
Filter is part of reservoir and not a replacement item.
A filter of fine polyester mesh is moulded into the base of the chamber. The filter removes particulate matter from the
fluid before it is drawn into the supply connection and is non-serviceable.
The Power Steering/ ACE fluid reservoir should be replaced at 150,000 miles
(250,000 kilometers)

D2 manual has a procedure to follow if you don't want go the easy suggested routes.
Bleed
1. Clean PAS fluid reservoir around filler cap and
fluid level indicators.
2. Remove filler cap from PAS fluid reservoir. If
necessary, fill PAS fluid reservoir to upper level
indicator with recommended fluid.
+ CAPACITIES, FLUIDS,
LUBRICANTS AND SEALANTS, Fluids.
CAUTION: Ensure no dirt is allowed to enter
the steering reservoir when the cap is
removed.
3. Start engine and run to normal operating
temperature.
4. Position container to catch fluid spillage from
steering box.
5. With engine at idle speed, and an assistant
turning the steering from lock to lock, loosen
bleed screw on top of steering box. Keep PAS
fluid reservoir topped up and allow all air to
bleed from system. When fluid from bleed
screw is free of air, tighten bleed screw.
CAUTION: Do not hold steering at full lock
for longer than 10 seconds.
6. Stop engine.
7. Clean spilled PAS fluid from steering box and
surrounding area.
CAUTION: Power steering fluid will damage
paint finished surfaces. If spilled,
immediately remove fluid and clean area
with water.
8. Check fluid level in PAS fluid reservoir and fill to
upper level mark. If fluid is aerated, wait until
fluid is free from bubbles.
9. Fit PAS fluid reservoir filler cap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.