Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Power Steering grenaded

12K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeff H. Reynolds 
After I reassembled mine after doing head gaskets, I had an issue with the fluid aerating and having high steering effort. After a couple days of looking I noticed a small leak under the vehicle. The pump inlet hose had a small leak. Not enough for it to drip, but enough for it to suck air.

Same with the BMW's. Their filter screen sits on a pedestal in the bottom of the reservoir and is secured with a torx screw. But it's larger than the fill hole and the top and bottom are welded together. I use brake cleaner.

The only way for air to get into the fluid is for air to get into the fluid. It's a closed system and the gases in our atmospheric air aren't soluble in hydraulic fluid. You have a leak on the suction side. A clogged filter will cause a higher level of suction to occur as it is restricting fluid flow, so most likely it's pulling air in between the reservoir and the pump- most likely through a very small hole in the hose, or a loose clamp.

It can take a while to get the air out. Or you can do the flush procedure as in the RAVE manual. I'd be a little nervous about snapping off that bleeder in the top of the box, so spray it with a good penetrant the night before.

If it's just groaning, you are cavitating the pump. That means you either still have a restriction in the tank, or somewhere between there and the pump. If you have aeration, you have a leak in the hose.

Rockauto.com for your hose.

In my case i replaced the hose and resealed the pump. Then I bought a gasket and seal kit. Then I bought a cardone reman pump. only the last one got rid of the foaming and groan. Two turns to full lock each way bled it.

I hate not being able to repair something and not being able to understand why something isn't working. But there are limits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.