Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2000 disco 2 for a month now and im slowly getting all the maintenance done, but i knew when i bought it the PS pump was groaning, not loud but you can hear it when turning and even at idle(steering is still smooth no issues). I thought maybe adding lucas ps additive would help... but it didnt.

Ive found a few different pumps online from $127-250, or i can go to picknpull and snag one for $20, id prefer a new one but does brand really matter?? BTW these pumps are remans from rockauto

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1363496,parttype,7380

thanks

jason

·
Registered
112 Posts
The groaning sound is typically an indication of the pump not being fully primed or having air in the system. Look to see if the pump appears to be leaking fluid from the back cover. This is the area where the supply line connects to the bottom of the pump. The gasket is prone to fail and allow air intrusion.

If leaking from the cover, you can remove the pump and repair the seal if you are inclined to repair vs. replace. Four bolts hold the back cover on. Remove the cover and clean the seal areas with break cleaner, must be free from any PS fluid for next step. Once dry apply a small bead of BLACK RTV. Allow to tack, and replace the cover. Do not over tighten the cover as it can crack or compromise the new seal. When done correctly the pump will be good as new.
I have repaired numerous pumps in this condition. I've only had to replace a pump due to a front bearing failure, never actually seen a pumps internals worn out. Although I'm sure it does happen.

Other areas can leak as well so inspect the entire system. Not unusual to have to clean the area to pinpoint the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The groaning sound is typically an indication of the pump not being fully primed or having air in the system. Look to see if the pump appears to be leaking fluid from the back cover. This is the area where the supply line connects to the bottom of the pump. The gasket is prone to fail and allow air intrusion.

If leaking from the cover, you can remove the pump and repair the seal if you are inclined to repair vs. replace. Four bolts hold the back cover on. Remove the cover and clean the seal areas with break cleaner, must be free from any PS fluid for next step. Once dry apply a small bead of BLACK RTV. Allow to tack, and replace the cover. Do not over tighten the cover as it can crack or compromise the new seal. When done correctly the pump will be good as new.
I have repaired numerous pumps in this condition. I've only had to replace a pump due to a front bearing failure, never actually seen a pumps internals worn out. Although I'm sure it does happen.

Other areas can leak as well so inspect the entire system. Not unusual to have to clean the area to pinpoint the issue.
Excellent info! thanks, i havnt seen any leaks or atleast i havent had any drip spots in my driveway and my fluid level stays the same... but ill pull the pump and check the cover you suggested. Alot cheaper than buying a new pump if i dont have too.

jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.