Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -- JB from Germany again.

Last month I replaced the alternator in our 2008 LR3. This month the power steering seems to have died.

When we first got the alternator fixed, after the car had been parked for 2-3 weeks while waiting on the alternator in the mail, the steering seemed just a little stiff, but after a day or two of driving it seemed to loosen up. A couple weeks went by with no issue, but today the pwr steering seems completely kaput. It's really stiff getting the steering wheel off the "12 o'clock" position, then eases up just a little as you get into the turn, then is really stiff getting back to the 12 o'clock position.

The fluid level was just about at the "you need to fill me" line when I came to rescue the panicking wife. I filled it up to the "max" line with fresh fluid, but didn't seem to help.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious leak of PS fluid anywhere.

No fault messages on the dash or anything like that.

So, questions:

-1, Is it safe to drive while the power steering is "out" like this? I didn't hear any abnormal noises while driving home tonight.

-2, Adding a little clean fluid didn't seem to help, but I know I've never flushed the fluid while I've owned the car the last 2.5 years. Would this help any, do you think? Any links to specific tutorial threads for doing this would be super helpful.

-3, Anything else I should check / be worried about? PS Pump? Anything else?

I don't mind working on the (dang) thing....really hoping not to give away my hard-earned tax return to the dealership if I can avoid it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~JB

· Registered
242 Posts
If you notice it binding primarily in one position of rotation of the steering wheel, chances are it is not the power steering at all, but the lower steering column shaft. There is a U-joint in it that will bind up.

I don't recommend driving it in this condition, as sometimes a quick turn is needed on the road.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the case that it's the lower steering column shift, is that something I would be able to see/diagnose? Or is it one of those things where I just need to replace the part all together and see where that gets me?

~JB

· Registered
242 Posts
You can see it, somewhat tight, but if you look down past the drivers side valve cover you should be able to see the shaft.

If it is real bad, you might be able to see it 'jump' as the joint binds if you have someone turn the wheel while you watch. Once it is off, you can easily feel a bad joint, but not with it installed.

It's pretty easy to replace, two bolts, and the part isn't too pricey if I recall.

· Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is a bit dated but if OP sees this, I just had the same exact issue on my 2008 LR3. Alternator went out and it took me 2-3 weeks to get the new one in. Noticed immediately that the power steering was out upon driving the car for the first time. Wondering if there could be an electrical issue behind (ie blown fuse, etc) due to the alternator drawing an excessive amount of current. Thoughts? Did you resolve your issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.