Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys….here's one for you. I found the power steering pump to be leaking on my Disco 2. I replaced the gasket between the halves of the pump housing. When I re-assembled it, it started off working fine. I was in the process of bleeding the air from the system, when the groaning sound returned. When I stop turning the wheel, i can hear (what I believe) to be the sound of a bearing issue with the pump now. Am I heading in the right direction on this, or will a lot of air in the system lead to the sounds I am hearing? Thanks in advance for your help.

· Land Rover Mechanic
15 Posts
If you're handy- Land Rover Discovery II Steering Pump (Fits Part #QVB500080)
(If you must replace, go THIS route)
You can pull the current one and "refurbish" it yourself then eBay, but if you're trying to get to work soon, just order and swap.
Might I suggest BG power steering fluid.

Never personally dug into one, but I'm sure someone at the shop has, and will ask when I get a chance if you're curiosity outweighs the urgency of repair(or if someone else post a brilliant answer first) Also, be sure to have the proper drive belt. Shouldn't really be any slack.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Buy a new pump, rebuilt or rebuilding has a very high failure rate.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Either way I ment to say they rarely take a rebuild or hold up.

· Registered
380 Posts
I have a rebuilt pump, I've had it roughly for 5 months now maybe, its already whining on me. At least its under warranty, I wish I would've bought a new one honestly, I hated replacing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.