Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Will a power steering pump from a '95 Disco work on my '88 RR? The Disco is the only Rover at the only salvage yard.
What other optios do I have for a leaking, groaning steering system?
Thanks again,

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Are you unwilling to order one from the States?
We could send you one. All you gotta do is ask, hoaaloha.
I'll drop down to Rover Cannibal and pick it up and sent it out.
Email me. Whatever.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Ive got one off an 84 rangie $40 plus carriage

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee, you guys are great! Yes, I would love a new pump, if that is what you think my problem is, as I do (mechanical dolt).
Thank you,
Pat
Kaua'i, Hawaii, USA (in the States)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using the Lucas fluid and it helped a lot, but I am still going through a bottle a week with groans. The bottle says you can train the whole system and fill up with 100% Lucas, which I have not tried yet.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
So it's an '88 and you need the power steering pump.
I'm pretty sure I can get one and send it to you. I can't afford to pay for it though. I'll get a price and get back to you.

I'm assuming it's not leaving a big puddle under the truck. Did you check for leaking hoses? I had hose problems (still do) but my pump was fine. Of course if you ran the pump low too much it may have screwed it up.

I didn't mean to imply you weren't in the "states". When I lived on Guam we always referred to the contiguous 48 as "the states".

Anyway I'll get a price and get back to you soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
That would be great, just let me know what you think it will be with shipping.
\

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got a used steering pump from Car Canibal for $100 but additional $20 S&H two years ago (1991 RR-C 160K miles).

Another note: these babies can not be rebuilt, I'm told by Meridian. http://www.meridianautoparts.com/ They do the best rebuilt for steering boxes using special seals to prevent notorious leaking.

I don't think it was my problem although it was making lots of noise when turning. I do know I had to adjust the backlash (had nothing to do with pump.) via the screw on top of steering box. This was not a noise problem, steering effort inconsistent especially on windy roads.

I would agree / suggest some fluid swap. Use real power steering fluid unless you have some Dextron ATF hanging around (specified in my manual).

Hose also are very high pressure and leak with age. Usually leaking is steering box (RR joke; if not leaking probably empty...) seals. See above for rebuild.

Sorry this is all backwards; first analyze problem carefully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts