Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife recently bought a 2012 LR2 from a Land Rover dealer with only 25k miles in excellent condition. Nice vehicle. I've noticed a faint whining noise whenever you turn the steering wheel in either direction. I've never experienced this in any other car - is this normal?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine said it might have steer-by-wire steering, and that might be making the noise. It does seem to be coming from the steering column (as opposed to the pump...)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power Steering Whine

My 2011 LR2 also developed a rather loud whine that gets a bit louder at full lock. I took it to the dealer and they found a small leak in the power steering pump. The suspected that the steering rack was also damaged. The repair estimate about around $3K. However, they suggested flushing the power steering fluid and monitoring the level. That make a huge difference. Perhaps you want to start with a power steering flush and fill.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Drain the PS fluid out refill and drain with a turkey baster with the most expensive synthetic you can find until it's clean. Then add a bottle of Lucas PS.

When mine started in whine the mechanic told me I need a new PS pump and wanted $2,000 to fix. This was 40k miles ago. He said the flush might work for a little bit but was just delay and waste of money because "you're going to have to add new fluids when you change the PS anyways".

I've been doing this flush every 3-5k miles since with no noises and no new PS pump. The crook just wanted easy money. That's why their shop is out of business today.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
All of this is interesting, but it just sounds like you are low on power steering fluid. Try the simplest fix first.

Directions just in case -

remove the top of the power steering unit
fill it to the line w ps fluid
start the engine and turn the steering wheel to full lock right and left several times
check the fluid level and top up if necessary
repeat until the level no longer drops

1 - 7 of 7 Posts