Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm hoping someone can help. The power steering pump in my '95 Classic went bad. It started with a tapping and grinding and then a failure that left the pulley wobbling...all within a short drive. I purchased a new (remanufactured) pump and installed/ filled system. Everything seemed perfect for most of the day until a long drive home. I made a pitstop and heard the begining of the old, familiar tapping in the new pump. This quickly grew into a loud knocking. Unfortunately I had to make the decision to drive the rest of the way home. I stopped for some $2.50 per gallon and checked the pump. It was perfectly quite. I drove another thirty minutes and arrived home. No knocking. I shut off the engine, checked the fluid (was full), and re-started the engine. The pump instantly started knocking very loudly (enough to turn heads of the neighbors). As of now, the pump will knock selectively. If you turn the wheel either direction, the knock goes away!!! I wondered if there was a pressure problem. I opened the bleeder on the steering gear box. Fluid shot out (wheels were in strightahead position.) I feel like there could be one of three issues. 1. The new pump was bad. 2. There is some sort of restriction of flow coming from the gearbox back to the pump. Is there a valve or something in the gearbox? Turing the wheels seems to increase the pressure and forces fluid through the system thus eliminating the knock. 3. Could I have failed to bleed the air from the system when the new pump was installed and caused damage? I know I am ready for a new gearbox based on the seals being bad. Does it sound like it caused two pumps to go bad? Again the new pump does not knopck all of the time. If the problem was in the gearbox, does it sound like this pump will need replacing??? Sorry for the monologue...trying to be specific, Thanks!!

· Registered
95 Posts
I had a problem I thought was steering pump and was told they cound NOT be remanufactured. So I got used one from Car Canabal for $120 including shipping. They were $300 new at the time.

I read Meridian does the best rebuild on the steering box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.