Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 Disco SD which I knew had a water pump and power steering pump problem. I replaced them both and followed the instructions on this site to flush and bleed the power steering fluid. The problem that I am having is that the power steering is still really stiff.
When I was bleeding the system I attached a hose to the bleed nipple after loosening the screw. I then started the engine and waited until the fluid was at a steady flow. I then moved the wheels from both side locks. The fluid behaved as if there was air in the system. After about 20 seconds the fluid went back to a steady rate of flow again. Every time I moved the steering to both side locks it took about 20 seconds for the fluid to go back to a steady flow.
After 15-20 minutes of doing this and using an additional quart of fluid after the flush I have given up.
Does anyone have any idea why there always seems to be air in my system after turning the steering?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disaster overted!!!
After speaking with Mike and realizing the fluid should have been swirling in the reservior I rechecked my hose routing. I found that the return hose was kinked:eek:. I straightened it out and everything works fine. I now have power steering!!

Thanks Mike!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Good find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts