Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 04 DII that makes a "groaning" noise when turning the steering wheel. Is there a way to test the power steering pump to see if it's the problem? I had steering fluid in my driveway but the tank where you refill it is full. it is extremely hard to turn the wheel and makes the noise when doing so.

Thanks in advance
Ron

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Can you see the fluid swirling in the PS fluid reservoir when the car is running? There should be a pretty noticeable churning taking place in the tank. If the fluid is still, it's likely a failed pump.

However, even if you see fluid moving, it might mean that the pump can still create pressure, but it may have an internal leak that's only present when you apply steering inputs. At any rate, there's no way to "check" without pulling it off and inspecting it.

It likely IS a failed pump, but it can also be a failing steering box. My steering groan went away when I tightened up the adjustment nut.

Furthermore, it could even be a failed ball joint or trailing arm/drag link that is causing a lot of friction and affecting the steering.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.