Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased an 04 D2 with 118,000 miles on it. I don't intend on taking it on many long trips (long meaning 600 miles). But I'm about to go on one.

I want to make sure I prep the truck as well as possible. I.e. Change the oil, check pressure in the tires, check all liquid levels.

I want to know if someone has a routine/checklist that they could share to help me.

Thanks. Will

Also, I have not done the 120,000 miles maintenance overhaul, but I will when I get back (which makes me nervous).

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
1. Change oil/filter.
2. Check/Replace if necessary - trans fluid, gear oil, coolant.
3. Loosen/properly torque lug nuts - they can get stuck.

At your mileage, it's imperative that you check the condition of your head gaskets and drive shafts. Check for coolant leaks along the back of the engine block as they are a clear indication of failing HGs. If you're still on the stock front drive shaft at 118K miles you're on borrowed time. All three u-joints need to have a zerk fitting for greasing them. If they don't, get the shaft rebuilt before you head out. They can fail catastrophically and punch a hole in your transmission.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a leak on the hg on the back of the engine block. Im not going to do this, unless there are multiple believers on here, but have you heard of the almond pellets that can supposedly seal up a leak if its on the exterior?

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
PLEASE don't put any foreign materials into your cooling system. That's a nightmare waiting to happen. You'll clog your radiator, jam your thermostat, and likely plug up your coolant passages in the block.

The leak isn't a death knell, as most D2s in our mileage range have it, but you need to keep a watchful eye on it to make sure nothing gets worse. Get yourself an UltraGauge to monitor temps in real time. The stock gauge is completely useless.

My D2 also has a minor leak out the back that's been there for at least 20K miles. During that time I've done a round trip to Key West (900 miles, 90F heat), several wheeling trips to Ocala fully loaded with gear and 5 big guys, and countless miles in stop-and-go Florida traffic. I've never had an issue. It's something that I will have to tackle soon, but odds are you'll be fine.

Focus on that front driveshaft, as mine started chattering at about 110K miles and by the time I pulled it off the U-Joints were absolutely bone dry, and several needle bearings were missing. I was literally just a couple miles from disaster. This will be the biggest thing you should do before the trip.

· wjsj69
124 Posts
There is a leak on the hg on the back of the engine block. Im not going to do this, unless there are multiple believers on here, but have you heard of the almond pellets that can supposedly seal up a leak if its on the exterior?
There are many products on the market which claim to permanently seal head gaskets. But even if it's not permanent, it seems like good insurance since these engines all seem to be on borrowed time due to their inherent problems. And especially if it's leaking already.. it might save a lot of aggravation.. Just do a search for head gasket sealer, and check out some videos. I've been running "K-seal" additive for a while ( K-Seal - EE - Expedition Exchange Incorporated ). I think it's from Great Britain-almost like it was made just for Rovers!..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.