Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Premium vs. Regular unleaded

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Disco Mike 
#1 ·
The newer Disco's call for premium unleaded gasoline. Does anyone know if these have a knock sensor? If so, could we use regular gasoline? Anyone currently running sub-90 octane with no probs?

#2 ·
We have a 2000 and it runs fine on 87 as we speak. We put in a tank of 92 ever so often.

#5 ·
They will run on 87 but you will loose gas mileage and power.
It is OK to run 87 if you have to and it will carbon up your engine big time if you continue to use it.
In the long run it will cost you more to run 87.
Mike J.

#7 ·
I don't own stock but I try to only put Chevron in mine. I've had a couple of really good mechanics as friends and thats what they put in all thier cars. The additive helps keep things clean. I've used the Unleaded (midrange) and get fine results but switch on occasion to the high grade. I burn a lot of interstate miles I don't know how that plan will work with constant stop and go traffic.

#9 ·
well no wonder i get crappy gas milage with 87 =c)
i'll try using better...but i've never had any knocking issues or anything of the sort using 87.

#11 ·
Dent,
I couldn't have said it any better. As the old saying goes," Pay me now or pay me later", only problem is that you will pay alot more later then what you, THINK, you are saving now. If you are the type that likes to get out off road you will also loose in perfromance.
Mike J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.