Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intermittent issue for past year, happening every few weeks.
When I park and shut off engine by pressing start/stop button, the engine shuts off, key gets stuck in docking station, everything in dash shut off, locks won’t work, press start button won’t start either.
First few times this happened I would do nothing and just wait 30 seconds sitting inside the car with doors shut, then open drivers door and would hear everything click back on and I could get key out normally.
I had AAA come out and check the battery and battery was good, said it wasn’t a battery issue but told me to go buy a different car (thanks dude! So helpful).

Took to dealership, they could not replicate my issue and said to try replacing docking station, did this, but problem continued.

Then, this would happen again same scenario with key stuck, wouldn’t start, etc. but I found that I could disconnect one of the battery cables for about a minute and reconnect it and it fixed the issue, key would come out, would start, everything back to normal.
Now, just happened yesterday, same scenario happened after I park I press the stop button to shut off the vehicle. Key stuck, won’t start etc. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable but it didn’t work. I tried about 6 times then tried removing the other battery cable and keeping the other connected and it worked, everything back on, able to start, able to get key out of docking station.
Is this a known issue? Could it be the starter? Ignition? A sensor? Anti-theft issue? Everything else on this vehicle runs perfectly! I love it! But I’m feeling like I’m going to eventually get stranded when my little battery trick stops working.
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

·
2008 LR2 SE
42 Posts
These cars are very sensitive to any battery weakness or issue. How old is the battery (should be marked on it)? If it's fours years or older, I'd just replace it with a quality battery.... if it's not the problem yet it will be soon.

Also try a computer reset:
Disconnect both battery cables.
Wait ten minutes
Touch battery cable ends together
Wait ten
Connect battery
Wait ten
Insert key fob (don't turn on)
Wait ten
Turn car systems on, but not the motor (with foot off brake, press and hold start button for a few seconds)
Wait ten
Start engine, drive around a bit

Otherwise electrical gremlins might be caused by a loose/dirty/corroded ground strap.

Other than that, it's going to take some troubleshooting. Dealers generally suck, try to find a good local indie shop that works on LR. My electrical system has been trouble-free (2008 LR2) but I live in SOCAL... in rainy/humid areas these cars seem to have a lot of issues, the guys on the UK forum have endless problems.

If your LR2's over 100k miles it's going to need some significant preventative maintenance to be reliable. The LR manual does not schedule a lot of this, they just assume you'll crush the car at 100K but the Volvo manual does. Here's a good list...

If you're not a car hobbyist and really want to keep the car, I'd find that indie shop and have them take care of the high mileage items in Paul's list above. Otherwise that road-side assistance guy was probably giving you good advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These cars are very sensitive to any battery weakness or issue. How old is the battery (should be marked on it)? If it's fours years or older, I'd just replace it with a quality battery.... if it's not the problem yet it will be soon.

Also try a computer reset:
Disconnect both battery cables.
Wait ten minutes
Touch battery cable ends together
Wait ten
Connect battery
Wait ten
Insert key fob (don't turn on)
Wait ten
Turn car systems on, but not the motor (with foot off brake, press and hold start button for a few seconds)
Wait ten
Start engine, drive around a bit

Otherwise electrical gremlins might be caused by a loose/dirty/corroded ground strap.

Other than that, it's going to take some troubleshooting. Dealers generally suck, try to find a good local indie shop that works on LR. My electrical system has been trouble-free (2008 LR2) but I live in SOCAL... in rainy/humid areas these cars seem to have a lot of issues, the guys on the UK forum have endless problems.

If your LR2's over 100k miles it's going to need some significant preventative maintenance to be reliable. The LR manual does not schedule a lot of this, they just assume you'll crush the car at 100K but the Volvo manual does. Here's a good list...

If you're not a car hobbyist and really want to keep the car, I'd find that indie shop and have them take care of the high mileage items in Paul's list above. Otherwise that road-side assistance guy was probably giving you good advice.
I’ll give that battery reset a try. I have lived in Socal for past 5 years, it’s where I got the vehicle and it’s also where the issue started. I just moved back to Minnesota this summer and was hoping the humidity would help, lol. Jk. Every time I take it to a non-dealer shop they tell me they hate Land Rovers and refuse to work on it. I did get one shop in Anaheim to help with a power steering pump replace but he complained the entire time, it took him 2 days, and said he needed to remove the battery to do the repair.. maybe he messed it up. Lol. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
my LR2 is VERY sensitive to any battery depletion. However, I think your problem is in the FOB. the FOB on the LR2 HSE (maybe the same as yours) has a battery that is recharged when it is in the docking station. If the key is not ejecting and docking station does not recognize sometimes when it is in place, maybe the signal is weak, it could mean that the battery in the FOB is bad.

·
2008 LR2 SE
42 Posts
The battery in the fob is used ONLY for remote locking/unlocking of doors. The fob will still work fine to start the car if the fob battery is completely dead (the fob is powered by the docking station when inserted).

Starting problems or problems with the fob ejecting may be due to the docking station failing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll give that battery reset a try. I have lived in Socal for past 5 years, it’s where I got the vehicle and it’s also where the issue started. I just moved back to Minnesota this summer and was hoping the humidity would help, lol. Jk. Every time I take it to a non-dealer shop they tell me they hate Land Rovers and refuse to work on it. I did get one shop in Anaheim to help with a power steering pump replace but he complained the entire time, it took him 2 days, and said he needed to remove the battery to do the repair.. maybe he messed it up. Lol. Thanks
The battery in the fob is used ONLY for remote locking/unlocking of doors. The fob will still work fine to start the car if the fob battery is completely dead (the fob is powered by the docking station when inserted).

Starting problems or problems with the fob ejecting may be due to the docking station failing.
Thank you. I haven’t had the problem recur since I did the computer reset protocol you described. The battery itself is fairly new, 2020. And the mileage is at 79K. The docking station was replaced only a couple months ago as the dealer also thought this was the issue, but the problem continued after replacement. I’m bringing it to the dealer one last time to see if they can solve the issue, but I will be investigating some indie shops moving forward. Crossing my fingers… winter is coming soon in MN and it’s going to be pretty cold to do my battery disconnection trick.

·
2008 LR2 SE
42 Posts
I'd still get the battery tested, any AP store can do that for you and they'll normally R&R the battery too, so all you have to do is drive the car to them. If your car is an HSE, the various electronics on those (nav, BT, etc) will sometimes drain the battery when the car is off. That can damage even a new battery. My 2008 is an SE, and I have had zero battery drain gremlins fortunately. Also in socal, so the car stays warm and dry.

Some people recommend the computer reset procedure as annual thing, just to clear any funny stuff from the computer memory... kind of like rebooting windows occasionally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts