Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it came up in another thread (pricing on old gems), I am the original owner of a 2004 G4 that I've babied - just under 100,000 miles. My husband and I have been discussing putting her up for sale since neither of us travel like we used to and not using the car frequently. My kids love her, but they have their own cars and it's not worth holding on to it for them to own one day.

If I were to sell her, what is the best way to find a buyer that will appreciate the G4 and the condition she's in? She to have her interior roof fabric replaced, it's sagging, but that's just cosmetic. Mechnically she's been maintained and well loved.

·
very disco
1,039 Posts
Check with eBay or consignment shops. You’ll have to find the right buyer... to the occasional shopper it’s just a strange orange version of an old SUV... to the right buyer it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
I do not know the value. What I do know is the Kelly Blue Book prices are incorrect. They have not been updated to reflect supply and demand let alone the % of Discovery's that have been pampered or edition specific Discovery's like yours and the Kalahari.

Since it's a G4 it will be worth more but only to someone cultish. To the average first time buyer Kalahari or G4 edition likely means nothing. So if are in no rush to sell and if it's in perfect condition AND is less than 100k - you should be able to fetch a hefty markup. I would say $16,000-$20,000 bone stock. More for modifications.

Whatever you do don't list the book value - and be prepared to deal with objections from the first time buyer that quotes the book to you. It's worth way more than what the book says. There was some guy on the other forums selling a Kalahari for like a thousand bucks lol. Here is a dealer advertisement for your Rover:

That's from Seaside Motors in Santa Monica (AKA Santa Monica SUV's). They are total liars and scumbags. So there is no telling if the price is accurate BUT 10 years ago all Seaside Motors had on their lot was Land Rover Discovery 1 and 2 for outrageous prices. 20-30-40 Rovers. Last time I was there was 2016 or 2017 and they had like 6 or 7. Today they have THREE for sale I can see online.

I am going for months without seeing another Discovery. I was in Florida 10 months driving every day and saw ONE on the road. In Los Angeles there are more but to give you a wild guesstimate it feels like a drop of maybe 70% compared to 2010 (just a wild guesstimate not based on anything) . In Las Vegas I have seen maybe 4 in 1 year. I went to a local "Rover" shop here and saw zero Discovery's. Only Jags and lots of Mini-Coopers.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
*she needs to have her interior roof fabric replaced ... sorry for the typos.

I prefer the no headliner look. It adds height and feels more utilitarian.

·
very disco
1,039 Posts
Tangiers orange and the decals are trademark of all G4 Challenge models, and it was a very short production run. Many were equipped with light guards and nudge bars from the factory as well, but functionally its comparable to any 2004.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in the market for a Disco and have a strange attraction to orange (thankfully my D110 is Stornoway but I do have an orange Wrangler) and unique vehicles. Are you going to sell it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks WLADisco for your input. If you're near me, you no doubt have seen me driving around. I get a lot of smiles ... and since I'm not in a hurry, I will take your comments into mind. Hornburg took good care of my Diva, and every single sound and groan until about 3 years ago when I switched to a local SM mechanic who rebuilds RRs and LRs for fun.

Surfchimp, I'm seriously considering it. She doesn't get driven very often and although nice to look at, she's made for having fun. I'd only consider selling to her to someone that will appreciate the Diva as much as I have. Where are you located? I'm in Los Angeles if you're out my way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks MsOrange- but I just picked up a nonG4 D2 locally. I'm in the Northeast so woulda been tough to see yours. I will mention that a G4 just popped up on BringaTrailer for auction. 200k miles tho... might give you some pricing feedback. good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts