Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
prepare for alot of leaks. Anything could go wrong. Main thing look at brakes and oil levels and conditions of all fluids.

not to mention the seller. I would never buy one from ebay but dont think you will buy a cheap one and not have any work to do on it.

If you have too have a mechanic look it over to get you an idea of what it will need.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Last eBay Disco we had in our shop required over $2K in work just to be considered safe to drive and left with a list of upcoming repairs that will be needed in the next 6 months (or at least before emissions inspections) that total another $1500 or so.

Common 95 Disco problems:

rust- look around striker pins on the rear side door jambs, and under carpet in foot wells

Leaking power steering lines- they ALL do it unless repaired recently

Abnormal valve noise from engine

Broken distributor- unable to set base timing and hold it

neglected x-fer case and axles. People seem to 'forget' they need fuild changes

Rear windows inoperable or intermittant - they have their own ECU and they fail a lot

If over 120K, should be on recent alternator and water pump/tensioner or plan on them sometime soon

CDL linkage inop- often will go from hi to lo, but CDL lock/unlock is often frozen

Brakes can be expensive if the calipers or rotors need replacement

Swivel balls and CV joints- any noise in the CV's can mean $400 per side in repairs (parts only).

There's a few other common ones... but there's a start! :)

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land...iewItemQQcategoryZ6294QQitemZ4597124808QQrdZ1

This is the rover I had in mind. I drove it last week, and like i stated in a previous post, the brake pedal had to be pushed to the floor. I figured it meant new brakes at all four corners, and never thought of the master cylinder. I already offered the seller 2500 telling him that the truck had atleast 750 in repairs in order to even pass inspection. he told me that 3000 is the magic number.

Any other advice / pointers? I already planned on bringing the rover to the local import service center (not the landie $dealer$) And i was hoping to use the disco as a daily driver for a few months before offroading.

· Registered
188 Posts
I could see some rust in the tailgate near the bumper and the hinges in those pics. I'd check the front carpets and the headliner for any signs of leaking. Check to see that the CDL shifts properly.

Seems like they would have detailed it at least to add some appeal to it. That would turn me away from it already. If it were me, I'd skip it, that is if you didn't already buy it b/c the auction is closed.

· Registered
388 Posts
apbtpetey said:
Hey now not all Rovers in upstate=mad rust :)
Maybe so..I have a 2nd home in Warren County NY. I see cars less than 10 years old with rotted wheelwells, etc. Im just saying the probability for a rusty vehicle is much higher in the rust belt...PA included :wave:

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Geez dude- drive over to Vt and take home my 95 for $7000. Yeah, it's more money, but it has new brakes, new suspension, new oil lines, new emissions hoses, new battery (optima), new winch bumper, 2 year old 8K winch, snorkel, roof rack.... the list goes on... Needs nothing.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love an almost fully modded disco, but the funds are the probelm. Now if you want to let me drive to vt and take it for a 6 month test drive and get back to you, I would be more than happy to accept the offer haha.
Do you have any pics of the 95?

· Registered
1,971 Posts

· Registered
1,971 Posts
yeah- its for sale. We jsut went through it and spent a small fortune bringing everything up to spec.
New PS lines, oil cooler lines, rotoflex, exhaust, brakes, bumper, emissions hoses, secondary ignition, shocks, springs... all new. The 8K winch is 2 years old. Roca Silva snorkel- only one I'm aware of in North America. It's in VT.
not intending to hijack the thread though- but all the stuff that's common on a 95 was replaced on this one, so it kinda serves as an example. To replace all those parts was about $1500 plus labour. Most Discos on the market require significant renewal, as most owners don't maintain them and they are selling them because of the condition and neglect.

· Registered
32 Posts
95 disco

Ok guys, I must have gotten lucky ... bought my 95 Disco off of ebay Feb 2005, drove it from Maine to Tennessee, and have so far only put approx $400 of repairs into it (fan clutch, speed sensor and windo reg). I will say that there are a few rusty bolts on the frame, but none that can't be undone, as well a very little body rust.

I love her, her name is Pearl. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.