Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 Disco II and installed two inch spring spacers myself. Back is real easy but front is pretty difficult. Everything seems fine except for the stock shocks in the rear. If a go over a speedbump or a big dip in the road the rear makes a loud popping noise. Im thinking its the rear shocks bottoming out when the shocks are extended fully. Installing the 2 inch blocks, the shocks are pulled two inches longer at normal ride height. This is just my thoughts. Does anyone have a sugestions on what the popping could be?

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Spacers are NOT a good way to go.... especially that high, but that is beside the point I suppose.
Anyway- that popping is your stock shocks about to pull apart and break. The fix is changing to extended shocks which will also require longer brake lines and possibly ABS extensions. Then you'll have a poor quality ride until you swap to new springs and remove the spacers.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
yeah, I agree.....2" spacers are pretty insane.....but ill say this. I and many others have ran the OME 3" custom lift with 1" spacers in the rear and its not bad......I am looking at getting new springs and its really not worth it unless I go with +4" springs...

...spacers in general are the cheap way around it all.....if you need more then 1" I say get taller springs.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I think a 1" spacer to level a truck running stiffer aftermarket springs is fine- sticking tall spacers on stock springs is not...
I still think it reflects poorly on OME that they suggest a spacer instead of getting a proper spring instead. There are plenty of 3" springs available. I don't think too much of OME anymore.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
I think a 1" spacer to level a truck running stiffer aftermarket springs is fine- sticking tall spacers on stock springs is not...
I still think it reflects poorly on OME that they suggest a spacer instead of getting a proper spring instead. There are plenty of 3" springs available. I don't think too much of OME anymore.
..hehe...they dont suggest a spacer. Actually I called ARB and they said that they strongly recommend not to mix springs or shocks and not to use spacers, etc....anything past normal design which would be 2" springs and shocks for the correct model.

For the OME 3" "custom" lift you use Discovery I springs in the front (commonly 751's) to raise it 3", and then a regular discovery II springs (781)in the rear but require a spacer to compensate.

....the problem is that eventhough this is a good setup....it leaves you with 2" shocks on a 3" lift. Because of this the vehicle is in more of a risk of overextending the shocks because unlike the DI, RRC, D90, there is no way of relocating the upper shock mounts on a DII lower without welding, etc. Thats why after breaking 2 OME shocks because of this exact reason, I am going with Bilstein 7100 long travel shocks. The 10" of travel will be more then enough and will compensate for the lack of ablility to lower the shock mounts.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
I Was going to go this way my self . But I figured that the advice that I got from you guys was enath to NOT to go this way .

But I don't want to go higer then 2" . And now since i have a girlfriend and riped some ligiments in her ancle when she was geting out of my truck . I might want to go 1" lift just so I can fit this little biger tires .

BTW she is 4'9" , and little over waight .

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. The front doesnt make the popping but probably should go ahead and replace all four shocks even though I hate to take back apart the front end.

Keptin, where can I get the Bilstein long travel shocks and what did it run you? Thanks.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I got my Biltein 7100's from RTE (www.rovertym.com)...they have them custom valved for DII's.

Perhaps the nickel plating has something to do with it but they are the all out "bling" shocks.....very nice but very expensive. They will run you around $185/shock.....and you must have at least a 3.75in lift to use them. I already had the 3" from the OME springs so I added .75in by using DI spring seats (which also are more compatable with the EE spring retainer kit).

Bilstein has some good shocks that I believe are less expensive then the OME's. The OME shocks run around $80/shock....im not sure how much for the Bilstein "yellow and blues" but that would be what you are probably looking for.

· Registered
3 Posts
So you guys reckon just using a one inch lift would be sweet on standard springs etc? It wouldn't be bad for anything. I'm looking at buying 1997 disco and would want a little bit extra clearance just so I could chuck some decent tyres on...

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
THere is no such thing as a 1" lift. The lifts are rated by there heavy dutyness and as the springs get stronger the lift is taller.
What you use your truck for will determine what lift to buy.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
No spacer is sweet on sagging coils and warn out shocks, it will still ride like a tired truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.