Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· The Best 4X4XFar
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 1991 200TDi 5 speed Discovery. While on holiday I noticed a few problems with it.

It is mostly stock, but is running Zeus timing gears instead of the factory timing belt. It has started leaking oil out of the seal between the fuel pump and the back of the timing gear cover, also it appears to be leaking oil from the front of the cover, where there is a small inspection plate.

If you leave the vehicle overnight it will not start very well the next day, it cranks over for a long time and when it does fire it runns really ruff (like only on 3 cylinders) and blows out a lot of blue oil smoke, after a while it will seem to run ok but it will contine to smoke and there also seems to be a drop off in performance (athough this might just be physcological).

Do you think oil could be getting into the fuel pump and fuel system from the broken gasket seal, or is it more likely to be a valve guide kind of issue. I started it up for the first time in about 4 weeks and drove it about half a mile, when I parked up it was dropping a lot of oil all over the front axel (hub to hub), on first inspection I can't see from where it came from but the whole underside of the engine was covered in oil including the bottom of the turbo.

Any help would be good thanks.

· The Best 4X4XFar
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

· Registered
72 Posts
There may be two different problems. The Zeus timming gear conversion must get an oil feed from somwhere as the original timming belt system was completely dry therefore the leaks around the timming housing will have to be identified,clean all the oil off and see exactly where and how much oil is leaking you may have to get in touch with Zeus to find more about the oil supply/return they have fitted. The problem with hard starting then running o.k when warm tends to indicate it is not a timming problem,check your fuel and sediment filters to ensure you are getting plenty of fuel supply when you say is blows a lot of blue smoke when starting up you may have blown a turbo oil seal and the engine oil is getting into your inlet system this would account for hard starting as well. To check this pull the intercooler pipipes of and have a look how much oil is in there if there is tons clean it all out restart the car run it for a while and then recheck how much oil is building up. Hope this gives you a couple of ideas. :drink1:

· The Best 4X4XFar
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that, I hadn't considered the turbo but that does sound a logical place to look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.