Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a disco 1 tdi 1997 and find that the rear windows have a mind of their own. They work perfectly sometimes and then stop working. The only way I can get them to work again is drive into the nearest pothole - then we up and working again. I've checked the plugs to the toggle switches in the console and doors. Does anybody know where the wires lead to?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Darryl...

I've got the same problem in 1996 300 Tdi.....

I've traced the wiring all the way to the Electrci Window ECU (why they need one is beyond me, but hey....) It sits on the side (Left hand as you look at it) of the ABS ECU behind the glove box.

I traced my fault to a loose connection on the white wire which sends out power to the cut-out switch in the centre console which is then sent to the motors/switches. I 'tightened the connector and the problem went away for a month or so..... but now its back - may be an internal fault in the ECU - am due to investigate further this week so will let you know how I get on........

Bri
:beer:

AHHHHHHHH....

Just seen whre on the rock you are...

It may not be in the same place on yours as its all going to be back-to-front (or do you drive on the imperially decided correct side of the road over there ;) )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info, I will check it out this weekend and let you know.
By the way, South Africa copies the British and we also have right hand drive cars here.
Regards,
Darryl :clap:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The window lift ECU can grow a mind of it's own I would be that's your issue. You could do what I did on my womans truck and just re-wire them lead by lead. :) Then they work when the truck is off. If not, you should be able to locate one [wlECU] in the UK but if not let me know I have a few lieing around.

Checkout http://www.get-rhino.com we need the exposure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just sourced a new (ish) ECU and plugged it in - windows work fine....OK says Bri, plug the old one back in as theres not much room in there and I'll do the job properly when I get home...

Plugs the old (knackered ) ECU back in.....the windows now work :shifty:

So, have I just wasted 10 quid on a box i don't need or is it what i think, a dry joint in the old one???????

Let you all know when I get the old one out!

Bri

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, old box out, in bits - no dry joints, no scorching, no loose connections, nothing. I'm no good with electronics and so will have to admit defeat - at least the new box has fixed it (which I knew it would, it was just the on/off nature of the fault lead me to beleive the old box might be salvageable.....)

Oh well there's always the oil leaks.... :eek:

Bri

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
The nature of the beast is....

corrusion in the electrical connections to the windows ecu. I think though that is just a box full of power transistors designed to operate those heavy motors about. Next time take a peek at those connectors and see if they are loose or have oxidation in them.

Just the action of disconnecting and connecting those cables may break the oxidation. If you have an old toothbrush, get it a scrub if you got the space. Good contact cleaner (not from RadioShack, but HomeDepot will do) will do but let it evaporate first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks Bri,
Removed the ECU and gave it a clean up .
Now replaced it and the windows are working - for how long who knows ?
If they stop again I'll have to source a new ish one.
Darryl :drink1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts