Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is my understanding that the LR2 key should be charging while its in the ignition. I'm having issues with it being dead lately (right now my LR2 is unlocked in a parking ramp because I couldn't find a way to lock the doors with a dead remote... you can't apparently lock the doors while they are open) although it seems to work fine to start the car. My doors locked at first but I realized I forgot something in my car and I had to use the hidden key thing to unlock the doors and then couldn't relock them.

It seems like the process to replace the battery is kinda involved and I would hopefully not have to go there.

I'm wondering if I could first try charging it longer and see if that helps. Should the key charge if I leave it in the ignition without the car running? I was thinking I might do that tonight while its parked in my garage. I need to be able to lock my car tomorrow since I have to leave it in an airport parking ramp and I won't have time before then to have this looked at by the dealer.

If anyone knows how in the world to lock the doors without using the remote too, that would be helpful. You can't press down the locks while the doors are open and if you press the lock button on the center console, it immediately unlocks while the doors are open. It's like the only way to lock the doors is if you are inside and that doesn't really do me any good when I need to leave my vehicle somewhere.

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
You should change the battery inside the key fob.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The fob only charges while the car is running. It also only charges if it is the right way up, that is, with the moulded (and sometimes coloured) symbols upwards.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
You can't close the doors and lock it with the key?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it is my understanding that the LR2 key should be charging while its in the ignition. I'm having issues with it being dead lately (right now my LR2 is unlocked in a parking ramp because I couldn't find a way to lock the doors with a dead remote... you can't apparently lock the doors while they are open) although it seems to work fine to start the car. My doors locked at first but I realized I forgot something in my car and I had to use the hidden key thing to unlock the doors and then couldn't relock them.

It seems like the process to replace the battery is kinda involved and I would hopefully not have to go there.

I'm wondering if I could first try charging it longer and see if that helps. Should the key charge if I leave it in the ignition without the car running? I was thinking I might do that tonight while its parked in my garage. I need to be able to lock my car tomorrow since I have to leave it in an airport parking ramp and I won't have time before then to have this looked at by the dealer.

If anyone knows how in the world to lock the doors without using the remote too, that would be helpful. You can't press down the locks while the doors are open and if you press the lock button on the center console, it immediately unlocks while the doors are open. It's like the only way to lock the doors is if you are inside and that doesn't really do me any good when I need to leave my vehicle somewhere.
I have the same issue and after reading the manual, it says to drive for 4 continuous hours (1 x per month) to recharge the battery in the fob. Because of Covid, I have not driven more than 1 hour over the past year so once travel is allowed again, I will do a 6 hour trip to see if it does recharge. If not, I think the only other options are to replace the battery yourself (see YouTube ) which requires talent or buy a new fob for about 300.00 +

1 - 5 of 5 Posts