Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 F-150 Lariat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just want to introduce myself.

My name is Benjamin and I am here to make connections, share advice and share in your experiences. I am a professional detailer and have been in the industry for 20+ years now.
I've worked on just about any car you can imagine from classics to modern exotics and have a lot of experience. I have also mentored other detailers and helped them to better succeed in their businesses.

I would like to offer myself as a source of advice when it comes to caring for your vehicle. If you have questions about how to clean or recondition any part of your vehicle I will take the time to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
I specialize in and have extensive knowledge in paint correction, ceramic coatings, paint protection film and window tint.
I have worked as a Ceramic Pro Certified Installer for over 5 years and due to the network of installers/detailers that I've accumulated over the years I have what seems like endless resources.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for help.
Although, I am not offering my services here, I am offering advice.
Thank you for accepting me to the forums!

·
Expert Crate Digger
367 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: BmckinneyCP

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello, I just want to introduce myself.

My name is Benjamin and I am here to make connections, share advice and share in your experiences. I am a professional detailer and have been in the industry for 20+ years now.
I've worked on just about any car you can imagine from classics to modern exotics and have a lot of experience. I have also mentored other detailers and helped them to better succeed in their businesses.

I would like to offer myself as a source of advice when it comes to caring for your vehicle. If you have questions about how to clean or recondition any part of your vehicle I will take the time to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
I specialize in and have extensive knowledge in paint correction, ceramic coatings, paint protection film and window tint.
I have worked as a Ceramic Pro Certified Installer for over 5 years and due to the network of installers/detailers that I've accumulated over the years I have what seems like endless resources.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for help.
Although, I am not offering my services here, I am offering advice.
Thank you for accepting me to the forums!
Hello Benjamin,
I’ve got a quest for you. My wood trim in my 2005 LR3 is really milky. Is this something you think could be polished out of the finish? Also I’ve got one crack in the dash. I’ve been think about filling it with charcoal grout caulking. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2005 F-150 Lariat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Benjamin,
I’ve got a quest for you. My wood trim in my 2005 LR3 is really milky. Is this something you think could be polished out of the finish? Also I’ve got one crack in the dash. I’ve been think about filling it with charcoal grout caulking. Any ideas?
View attachment 92913
What you're seeing on the wood trim is oxidation from UV exposure. It may polish out, but I can't guarantee how well it will polish but it may be worth a shot. I would try a light or medium cut polish by hand with a clean microfiber towel.. and use a small amount of product, just a pea size drop, in an inconspicuous area like the driver side panel.
As for the dash, it would be best to either replace it or just buy a custom cover for it. Patching the crack will be hard to blend because of the texture of the dash and matching the color will be very difficult as it's oxidized as well.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
In the past I have taped and toweled off interior, to wet sand and wool pad wood grain. You’d be amazed at what can be restored with care and skill. And it’s easier to polish it firmly attached to the vehicle than taking it out. Be careful tho, compound splatter can be a real chore to clean

·
Registered
2005 F-150 Lariat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with reverendALC, that is good advice but for some people it may be a bit advanced. If you aren't familiar with wet sanding or using a high speed polisher you will want to hire a professional with the proper tools and experience to go to those lengths. Just one example, you would need a machine with 2 or 3 inch backing plate and pads.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
This is true. I worked in the detail industry for 15 years and I did it with 10” pads, synthetic cut, and TONS of experience. I’m sure a local detail shop has somebody up to the task!

·
Registered
2005 F-150 Lariat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is true. I worked in the detail industry for 15 years and I did it with 10” pads, synthetic cut, and TONS of experience. I’m sure a local detail shop has somebody up to the task!
Yeah, now days we have small machines with small attachments for things like this. The Rupes Ibrid is great for this type of thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. I detailed cars for about five years nearly a decade ago. It’s been a while. I’ll try and give it a buff when I get some free time. I hope it helps but I’m not optimistic. Any other ideas if buffing does not work.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
If buffing doesn’t work, then it’s compromised. The only remaining options would be to sand down and refinish completely or replace. I guess, a wood grain vinyl wrap could be an option.

there are vinyl repair kits which work really well, but again it takes patience and experience to mix the dye correctly and apply the texture correctly. Vinyl repair is best left to the pros because an amateur job can often look worse than the crack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts