Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread and a bit of a diary including some pictures.
So here's what I'm doing. I have removed the headliner from my parts truck (2001 discovery 2) and am planning on striping it anddreskining it with textured faux leather.
As most of you who have or have had a d2 the headliner sagging is very common. The original material is on a thin foam backing which deteriorates with time. Both my 2000 and my 2001 are in need of headliner repair.
When I removed the headliner both sunroof drain tubes were hanging down / disconnected. The headliner itself was fairly straight forward to remove. If you are going to attempt this job be prepared to need a lot of space, it's deceiving ho big a panel it is until it is out of the vehicle, it's about the size of a pool table. Next step is to strip it and scrape all the foam off.
Pictures and updates to follow.:buttrock:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very cool man! excited to see it! its on my list to redo also, notice plenty of others doing creative things! excited to see pictures thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Denatured alcohol worked spectacularly for me to remove the last bits of old foam and adhesive residue. First brush off what you can, then use old rags soaked liberally in denatured alcohol to wipe down the surface. Since the alcohol is not petroleum-based it evaporates and doesn't leave any oily residue.

·
Administrator
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip redrover, I kind of got sidetracked on this one. I have been thinking of available materials, I am concerned about stretch on the inside corners, was thinking of of 3m brown carbon fibre wrap also looked at faux brown leather.
The liner is fibreglass? Was thinking contact cement? Any thoughts? Experiences?

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
Their are several different materials available that exceed the widest point of a Discovery Headliner Board at 62 inch width of your Headliner Board, you will need 64 inch material to recover in on piece. Limited colors are Lt Grey, Light Beige, Black & Mossy Oak Camo

I have 19 years experience working on Over Head Systems with Land Rover, Let me know how I can help in any way. Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts