Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2003 discovery
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
There's a tiny little bracket under there that holds the line by the oil pan bolts that uses an 8 or 10mm screw (can't remember which). Pull that off. Then move the lines just enough (they move a little with that bracket off) to get a socket on the bolts for the oil pan. Be careful with it - you will have to move the pan around a good bit to get it out and jack the front of the truck up a good bit to get it to clear the pickup tube when removing it. Move the lines as little as possible to get it out. It will come out with patience.

i got all the bolts out and am about to jack the truck - my hands were so dirty - i cant put it back together without cleaning it... :(

·
Registered
2003 discovery
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
There's a tiny little bracket under there that holds the line by the oil pan bolts that uses an 8 or 10mm screw (can't remember which). Pull that off. Then move the lines just enough (they move a little with that bracket off) to get a socket on the bolts for the oil pan. Be careful with it - you will have to move the pan around a good bit to get it out and jack the front of the truck up a good bit to get it to clear the pickup tube when removing it. Move the lines as little as possible to get it out. It will come out with patience.

i think i got it clean enough to put back in and picked away enough of the old rtv

am I supposed to use RTV to put it back together??

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
695 Posts
i think i got it clean enough to put back in and picked away enough of the old rtv

am I supposed to use RTV to put it back together??
Nope there's a gasket for it. Make sure the surface is basically perfect or it won't seal.

·
Registered
2003 discovery
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
FACEPALM AF - nothing is resolved... shes still dripping like a dirty wet nurse... ALSO - it appears as if the leak (now that everything has been wiped down) is not coming from the gasket but rather the oil filter spout from between the block and the filter mount. is there a gasket there that can be replaced? ill take pics

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
695 Posts
Hose everything down the brake cleaner and get it nice and clean. Then inspect. Could honestly be coming from anywhere. I don't believe the hole you are describing goes anywhere, although the dipstick location could be a source of a leak, although I haven't had it leak there on mine, and I don't remember there being an o-ring on it.

Also not a bad idea to check the PCV system while you are at it - fire up the truck and take the oil cap off when it's running - it should suck air in through the filler tube. If it is blowing air out or steady (if you aren't sure hold a piece of paper over it), you have a bad PCV valve (or a different issue, but that's most common). If your PCV isn't working properly, crank pressure can and will blow oil past seals, even if they are in decent shape.

·
Registered
2003 discovery
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hose everything down the brake cleaner and get it nice and clean. Then inspect. Could honestly be coming from anywhere. I don't believe the hole you are describing goes anywhere, although the dipstick location could be a source of a leak, although I haven't had it leak there on mine, and I don't remember there being an o-ring on it.

Also not a bad idea to check the PCV system while you are at it - fire up the truck and take the oil cap off when it's running - it should suck air in through the filler tube. If it is blowing air out or steady (if you aren't sure hold a piece of paper over it), you have a bad PCV valve (or a different issue, but that's most common). If your PCV isn't working properly, crank pressure can and will blow oil past seals, even if they are in decent shape.

will do

·
Registered
2003 discovery
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

what about the back side of the filter mount? against the block? is there a gasket there? is it safe to make one?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
695 Posts
this plug looking bolt
Unlikely. I don't even remember that bolt on mine, but it's been a while since I've been under it doing major work
what about the back side of the filter mount? against the block? is there a gasket there? is it safe to make one?
It's an o-ring on the housing, not a gasket. They don't really go bad as far as I can tell. Mine was still mint when I pulled it off.
Maybe your oil filter isn't sealing properly? Did you check for double seals and swap it out to eliminate that as a possibility?

Also likely that it could be front main seal. Does it sling oil off the crank while running?

·
Registered
2003 discovery
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Unlikely. I don't even remember that bolt on mine, but it's been a while since I've been under it doing major work

It's an o-ring on the housing, not a gasket. They don't really go bad as far as I can tell. Mine was still mint when I pulled it off.
Maybe your oil filter isn't sealing properly? Did you check for double seals and swap it out to eliminate that as a possibility?

Also likely that it could be front main seal. Does it sling oil off the crank while running?
Double seals? Like as of an old filter seal broke off and was left behind?

it is a new filter.. and I cleaned the housing pretty well before putting it on

No to spraying from the crank, also Behind the pulley on the Block and the pulley itself look bone dry

I really think it’s the o-ring on the housing or that bolt plug whatever the hall that thing is

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
695 Posts
Double seals? Like as of an old filter seal broke off and was left behind?

it is a new filter.. and I cleaned the housing pretty well before putting it on

No to spraying from the crank, also Behind the pulley on the Block and the pulley itself look bone dry

I really think it’s the o-ring on the housing or that bolt plug whatever the hall that thing is
Yeah sometimes the seals on the oil filter get left behind and people don’t notice since it’s tucked way up in there
Yeah pull that housing off to inspect. It’s like 3 bolts I think

41 - 53 of 53 Posts