Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to need to remove my front prop shaft to be rebuilt. According to RAV it's as simple as removing the 8 bolts. Then to replace just bolt it back up. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is as simple as it sounds in terms of removal and installation of the shaft. The double cardan assembly can be a pain.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
just remember to mark both front and rear joint so you can put the rebuilt one back in the same relative position. I use an angle grinder to make a small groove across both parts of the joint.
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
It's simple, but can be difficult depending on condition of the bolts and nuts.

To prevent rounding them off, ideally loosen them with a 6pt box end wrench, then use an open end to finish removing them.

I never mark them removing them if I'm rebuilding them or installing new. But if you want to, a center punch is better than cutting a groove in the flanges, and a lot easier also.

Whether you're doing it yourself or having someone else do it, you may want to read this post:
http://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/propshaft-rebuild-29302/#post164811

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did this in June and it is that simple. I had the time to blast the nuts with some WD-40 to "unstick" them for a few days before I started. Had no issues with bold or nut rounding - just a cracked socket. Installed a new one from the guys in Utah. Whole job took just over an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts