Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need to rotate my tires; upon delivery the truck had 30K (certified) and brand new Goodyear HP Wranglers from the dealer. Now the truck has 39K and last week I noticed both front tires with “choppy” uneven wear on the outer treads only. I could probably do it but if they need balancing I don’t have the equipment. So I called the dealer for advice and they told me that the truck needs to be lifted by the axles (due to SLS). On my way to work, I stopped at Mavis and told them what the dealer said. Their replied was that they don’t have the proper setup to lift by the axles. So I showed the guy the opening on the radius arms where you will put a bottle jack and he wasn’t sure if the truck will lift enough for them to work on it.
As a side note, I met this “master” mechanic over the long weekend celebration; while admiring my Disco, he told me that it needs to have the tires rotated but also shows signs of misalignment and probably weak front shocks. Can you tell all that by looking at the tread on the front tires?

My truck doesn’t vibrate at highway speeds or pull to the side; when I called LR the service advisor told me that the front shock last a very long (probably not true). My original warranty expires in less than two months; is this covered?

Anyway, what would you recommend I do first? Can you recommend a good place (Mavis; Goodyear centers, Etc.) that could rotate the tires by lifting the truck the proper way?
As always your comments are greatly appreciated, very sorry for the long e-mail. I rather ask than to have to ruptured air bags.

Thanks

Figman
’01 SE7 with ACE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tires

I got my DII with 29k on it and the oem wrangler tires back in august. I had the same "cupping" on the outside of the tires. I waited until 42k to put new meats on it. It's not really a shock problem, it seems to me, (and to my lr service writer), it's just a known issue and to keep your tires rotated...great advice. :) It seems to me that if you do a heavier shock, it may stiffen up the front end and keep it from "bowing"...Sorry if this doesn't help, hope it does though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Aloha!

You might want to bring your tuck to some place that can adjust the king pin on your front end. That will help with cupping on the out side edge of the wheel. As for rotating them. It is a good idea to do it every so offten, but it still does not fix the problem with your front end. I hope that this will help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would not recommend an alignment for the cupping. Just rotate your tires more often. The alignment on Land Rovers is factory set and very difficult to knock out of alignment. The toe-in setting aids in 4 wheel drive traction. Anyway, I thought cupping was from improper inflation. I know there are some very knowledgable mechanics that post here. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments, at this time I am looking on what will be the quickest and safest way to rotate the tires. I will take my truck to check the alignment just to double check the "toe"

Again thanks very much

Figman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.