Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Disco was purchased over heated and in operable. Compression test on #1 and #6 shows zero compression. The gauge bounced up to almost 30 but builds no compression. Tdc leak down test on #6 was complete failure it couldn’t hold any pressure. I found a bottle of head gasket repair in the back seat

I have a buddy who is convinced we can get away with just doing head gaskets.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Results may vary and I do not know your financial situation but for me...you have a known overheated Disco and unfortunately if you did not drive it beforehand into this overheat then you gotta assume the worst as most prior owners zombies these things just to run.

Now, both cylinders are next to each other which suggest a head gasket...so you could be right. If you have the heads off, checking for warping and all that just seems crazy not to do since you already would have them removed.

As to the motor....well, on the extreme end you'd have someone unnecessarily say do a complete teardown over this In my experience. But these things are terrible beasts when you chase just one problem and end up down a rabbit hole.

Caveat: Bought a 1985 bmw with an overheating issue. Pulled the head, resurfaced it and did the HG and all that and had ZERO issues with it.

If you want the HG job I say go for it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! Thank figure the heads have to come off anyway so why not pull them in the truck. 1 and 6 are on opposite sides of the engine. The oil looks good the coolant looks good.

·
very disco
1,953 Posts
there are always exceptions to every rule, but... the rule is the rule!

I can get on craigslist or Offerup at any given moment and find at least five discoveries that are "overheating" and/or "need head gasket" as well as a handful more which have "brand new head gaskets."

the chances of it having overheated catastrophically are high, and what a chore to do the top only to have to come back and do the bottom (and the top all over again).

Reactions: Ranger Rick

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh my God choke myself. I mistook coil pack numbers, that's a beer offense!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

7 has a lump of mystery goop at 6 o’clock. I’m leaning towards swap I think this motor is f’ed

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also came to a horrible realization as I destroyed the passenger side sai removing it. My spare motor is not SAI! I have to rebuild this motor! I’ll try to get it pulled this weekend and over to a machine shop. Any recommendations in Phoenix?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to Rovntech they use Automotive Machines of Scottsdale. I spoke to them, they’ll take a look at the block for free. Heads are $140 surfaced for the pair. $450 to do a valve job if it needs it. I’m going to get the motor pulled and take it to them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good eye! I think it’s just the angle. I cleaned everything up with a shop rag and coated everything in 5/20 oil to prevent rust

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

might be a better pic. I don’t think any of the liners have dropped but I will have the block inspected as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yup looks like just the angle of the photo. With luck they can get the cooling passages cleaned up. As far as SAI goes that is only heads, so you can still use the spare block.

Do a basic check of your heads for true, mine were really bad when they came off, they could not be corrected. I got a used set that were nearly perfect, just a good straight edge and feeler gauge will tell you if they can trued and reused. Specs are in the RAVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup looks like just the angle of the photo. With luck they can get the cooling passages cleaned up. As far as SAI goes that is only heads, so you can still use the spare block.

Do a basic check of your heads for true, mine were really bad when they came off, they could not be corrected. I got a used set that were nearly perfect, just a good straight edge and feeler gauge will tell you if they can trued and reused. Specs are in the RAVE
heads that are not flat can be corrected..they heat them while clamped and they are flat again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts