Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have not heard of that. I thought they skimmed them and there was a minimum spec.
yes..there is a u tube video on it I think.
My 2000 Disco was purchased over heated and in operable. Compression test on #1 and #6 shows zero compression. The gauge bounced up to almost 30 but builds no compression. Tdc leak down test on #6 was complete failure it couldn’t hold any pressure. I found a bottle of head gasket repair in the back seat

I have a buddy who is convinced we can get away with just doing head gaskets.

what do you guys think?
I would clean it up thoroughly and just redo the head gaskets. You should be able to see by going under the car. there should be steaks on the passenger side Cat. where the coolant has been running down and drying on the hot cat..and underneath on the drivers side. the first thing that happens is the leak at the water passages on each end of the head. Then it usually steam cleans the affected cylinder. then the next cylinder over will fail(if it goes long enough) because the water doesnt compress and strains ands steams the head gasket at the thin part between the bad and the cylinder next door. it's a dirty mess though. Flush all that stop leak out of the entire system!! the next item to go will likely be the heater core, due to the overheat stress on it..take care

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Long time since I updated. Christmas and Thanksgiving with 5 kids combined with a master bath shower project has sidelined the 2001 disco work. I’m back on it in earnest and I started working on getting everything out of the way to pull the now seized old block. Check out all the head gasket crap in the coolant lines. Definitely been zombies

Attachments

·
very disco
1,965 Posts
Glad to see somebody back on something!

my RRC been sidelined for months

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Long time since I updated. Christmas and Thanksgiving with 5 kids combined with a master bath shower project has sidelined the 2001 disco work. I’m back on it in earnest and I started working on getting everything out of the way to pull the now seized old block. Check out all the head gasket crap in the coolant lines. Definitely been zombies
That picture added to the subject of this post leans heavily towards, "Pull it and replace it."

What did you do for your replacement engine?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Michael, I still haven’t decided the liners are not slipped although motor is now seized from sitting. I have a good 2001 that needs an oil pump I could swap that in but it’s a non sai and this truck is sai. I’ll probably take this motor to my machine shop
and have them take a look at it. Make my final decision based on how warped it is.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Hi Michael, I still haven’t decided the liners are not slipped although motor is now seized from sitting. I have a good 2001 that needs an oil pump I could swap that in but it’s a non sai and this truck is sai. I’ll probably take this motor to my machine shop
and have them take a look at it. Make my final decision based on how warped it is.
As long as the heads are fine you could use the block from your 01 still? Don't forget to check the timing when you pull off that front cover to do the oil pump.

Reactions: Ranger Rick
21 - 27 of 27 Posts