Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I live in the Northeast, (NJ) and the past few days we have had a lot of rain... well i was driving to my girls house today, and I saw a jeep wrangler frolicking in the streams and rivers near my house. About an hour and a half later I was coming home and I didn't see the jeep there anymore, but still fresh tracks. A little up the road I saw some1 on the shoulder who looked really confused. He flagged me down, and I figured he ran off the road because their were leaves and stuff on the road and it was very slippery. Well I stopped and opened my window and asked the guy what was up. He looked at me and told me that he was off roading (the guy in the jeep but you prolly figured that out by now) and he was stuck in some deep mud. He asked me if I knew anyone with a truck or some cable to pull him out. He didn't want to call a tow truck because he was stuck on private property, and he knew that wasn't going to work out well. Well I pulled over completely, turned off my rangie, and went to look to see where he was stuck. He was only about 40 feet away from the road, but was in some incredibly deep mud. About 10 feet from his car, their was a hill and i checked it out and saw that the ground their was pretty stable. I told him that I had tow straps in the back of my car, and told him i would give it a shot at pulling him out. He looked at my car and said "how are you going to pull me out? You have a small SUV with rims on it" I told him he'd be surprised. Anyway, I back up as far as i could so that I still had good traction, and started to rig up the tow straps. I Just bought 2 sets of 30 ft ones to use in the winter when ppl fly off the roads, but this seemed like a good time to try them out. Well We rigged them up, I put the rover into 2nd gear low, and about 20 minutes later he was back on the road with me. The guy was amazed. He gave me $20 as a thank you and we exchanged numbers to go off roading sometime. Before we headed out he told me that his next toy would be a land rover.

The only regret I have is that I didn't have my camera in my car :bawling:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
That is awsome...... Never know when you are gonna need a tow rope... Great job... Keep on helping out.....

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
jhmover said:
Now you need a tire cover that says "Jeep Recovery Vehicle"
:lol: a sticker would work too.....

The bling to bring you back to the road.....

·
Registered
590 Posts
That is cool. Would have been cooler on film. :D

So, I have to ask this stupid question.
Since 98RRover has low profile rims, doesnt he have to worry about the rims bending at all, or getting torqed from the added pressure of trying to tow someone out of dense mud? :dunno:

·
rovering??
689 Posts
i dont think it should be any problems for him unless he starts to loose traction, what would be a problem is big rocks and stones... while he is off the road...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Recovery Bling

No offense 98RRover, but I would have loved to see a pic of you pulling a [email protected]#p out with rims on your Rangie!!... Priceless :lol:

Was the [email protected]#p stock or did he have bigger tires?

Also just outta pure curiosity, do you have 2" wide or 3" wide straps, and are they strictly tow straps or are they true recovery straps?

I'm kinda think'n for a heavy ass Rangie, a 3" would just give a little more security knowing it won't snap.

Kudos on the recovery! :drink1:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey I can answer a few questions...

With the low pro tires, the rims can bend, but not in mud. If it was really rocky, or even if i hit a curb at a slow speed they could bend, but the mud is ok. Surprisingly the tires on the 22's have pretty good traction... As for the straps they are about 2 3/4" so i guess 3" yellow ones with big metal hooks lol. Im not sure if they are exactly used for one thing or another, but i think its towing. I picked them up at a truck show. The guy had 2 packs so i bought both of them for $7 each. They were still in the plastic and said 10000 lb tow straps. Hey, the guy gave me a $20 tip so it was already worth it. I wish I had it on film too. I have my camera in my car now though and plan on keeping it there. Around now is when the people around me go off roading so maybe it'll happen again. :)

·
2,986 Posts
use that $20 to buy a 3" recovery strap... tow straps dont have any stretch to them, and the open metal hooks are dangerous (not to mention banned at places like Paragon).

Where abouts in jersey was he wheeling?

·
MG
771 Posts
rmuller said:
use that $20 to buy a 3" recovery strap... tow straps dont have any stretch to them, and the open metal hooks are dangerous (not to mention banned at places like Paragon).
Pardon my ignorance (and jacking the thread), but I need to understand why you would need stretch in a recory strap. Can someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rmuller said:

Where abouts in jersey was he wheeling?

hmmm it seemed to stretch pretty well, but it does have the open hook and i could see how that could be dangerous. I live in central jersey, in a place called neshanic station, but i pulled him out in Hillsborough...about 25 minutes from princeton

·
2,986 Posts
basically as I understand it, the elasticity in the strap works when you pull on someone, after you yank, the energy then pulls the truck closer to you.. Someone will hopefully chime in with the science behind it.. but thats why its called a recovery strap vs. a tow strap.

·
rovering??
689 Posts
me.guevara said:
Pardon my ignorance (and jacking the thread), but I need to understand why you would need stretch in a recory strap. Can someone enlighten me?
Snatch straps(recovery strap) operate in exactly the same way as a bungy cord.Because of the short, sharp jerk at the end, an inelastic strap will likely damage the vehicles it is connected to, while a soft, springy strap allows the pull to be applied progressively and smoothly, without damage.

·
4,576 Posts
Rover...SWEET....I'm PMing you with info for where you can get a 3' 30k lbs. rocovery strap on ebay for a SWEET price...and ProComp...good price, for a good brand!..Brand Spankin New. Congrats on the rocovery man!!! With a HiLift and the HiLift recovery kit, you'll even be able to get yourself out incase of any other wierd funky situation! By the way, I too carry a camera around...keep a set of bats IN the camera and another Out of the Cam.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Only problem with highlift is RangeRovers lack in jacking points.
Even with sliders, you wouldn't want to jack up a side without axle support.
You could rupture an airbag. If you wanted to go the Highjack route I strongly suggest looking into the wheel attachment for the highlift. It consists of two heavy duty nylon straps with metal hooks that would hook onto your wheel spokes and lift the vehicle by the axle on the outside of the wheel. Go to https://www.expeditionexchange.com/recoverygear/ and then go to Hi-Lift Jack Lift Mate and you'll see what I mean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.