Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to purchase a new 110 - Have done a lot of reading and found some references to lower duality of current 110 vehicles. any fact in this?
Regards

Andre

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quality on 110's Defenders etc

Quality is always an issue,but some improvement since F**d took over. (Downside Ford Parts bin raided for switch gear).

Diesels are best

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like any major manufacturer quality is always a fact. Landrover like any other manufacturer can build them good and build them bad.... this is not the issue

the issue is if you get a bad one what will the dealer do to solve your problems after all new they're a big investment and they what your return custom

however I heard bad and good about st(d)ealers

where in the world are you maybe somebody with more knowledge of your local could guide steer you to a void the bad'uns :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Land Rovers are curious beasts. They'll drive across the Namibian desert being both fueled and lubricated by little more than some fermented sugar cane and some mashed up fish (for oil you understand), and yet the heater and the indicators won't work.

They take the most unbelievable amounts of abuse and keep running, and yet take them on the motorway and bits fall off them. When it rains, I get wet in my landy. And I still love it to bits. My heater doesn't work, so when it gets cold I will deice both the inside and the outside and wear a coat. And yet today it pulled me up a slope that felt vertical (I could see the bonnet and the sky) in 2nd low and didn't miss a beat. It felt like it could have pulled me up in 4th high!

That's the thing about land rovers, if you forget about the little things that don't work and enjoy the majesty of them, they're the greatest vehicles in the world. Even when you do think of the little things, they're still the greatest vehicles in the world.

I heard that the first vehicle seen by 60% of the third world's population is a Land Rover. That's got to say something. Oh, and 70% of the Land Rovers ever built are still running today...

What am I trying to say? Buy a Landy, download the workshop manual and get your hands dirty. For the record, most problems on a land rover can be solved with a set of spanners and, more importantly, a soft faced mallet...

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tibbs said:
Land Rovers are curious beasts. They'll drive across the Namibian desert being both fueled and lubricated by little more than some fermented sugar cane and some mashed up fish (for oil you understand), and yet the heater and the indicators won't work.
Oh so true. There's always something broken / needing fixing on them. But they only like to completely break down when they are close to home and on asphalt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
abiljon said:
I plan to purchase a new 110 - Have done a lot of reading and found some references to lower duality of current 110 vehicles. any fact in this?
Regards

Andre
:rolleyes: I agree with everything written above. If you look at a Landy in the same way you would look at an ordinary car then you are going to be sadly dissapointed.

The paintwork is poor, you look at them the wrong way and the trim spontaneously combusts, they pour water in when its raining BUT you forgive them all this because when the going gets tough and you're up against it they will allways deliver.

Most of the quality gripes refer to cosmetic items - if you want a vehicle to transport up to 12 people in (relative) comfort accross inaccessible terrain in all the most appalling weather conditions day in day out then you buy a 110 SW. :drive:

If you want to be picky and want to have a pristine motor then you are left with 2 options.

1) Buy a toyota/nissan/izuzu etc. :dunno:

or

2) Buy your Landy new, strip it down, rebuild it yourself! :shifty:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doc1911 said:
Are you in the US? How do you plan to get a new 110 if so?
No I am not in the US - Not sure if that is something against me :) .

I planned to buy a new landy - And then decided to take the 'risk'. Got myself a double cab 110 and love the thing to pieces. I have not experienced (yet) major issues with it :cool: but then it has only done 2500km's. I am busy setting it up for off-road trips. Found some minor concerns, i.e. the back doors have about 40mm uncovered rubber sealing at the bottom so water will rush in quicker that filling a bath. I also found the 2nd gear shifting difficult, especially when cold. Other issues are esthetically and minor.

Andre

·
Registered
5 Posts
The poor door seals also allow water to leak out as fast as it leaks in. The major advantage is that if you unexpectedly encounter a hole that's too deep during a river crossing, the car won't float away downstream like a Landcruiser does.

2nd gear change is poor and no amount of fiddling with different oils seems to make the problem go away. Stick with the recommended oil and double-declutch up and down in and out of 2nd. Or make a cup of tea between gear changes! :drive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts