Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 95 Range Rover SWB Classic with the original air suspension, but I think the system does not work properly. The ride is really rough, and I think there is a leak in the air bladder, because the compressor runs constantly. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good conversion kit and some coil spring shocks that would work best for light off roading but mostly day to day road travel. I also planned on having a friend put the shocks and springs in to save money so if anyone has some tips on doing it yourself that would be great.
I also noticed that the car kinda shakes ie: steering wheel, dash, when I drive about 70 miles an hour. I figure the alignment needs to be corrected, but could it also be caused by the failure in the suspension and rough ride?

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
You can't go wrong with Bilstein or Old Man Emu conversions.
I have OME shocks, not sure whose springs are on there but I plan on replacing them someday.
The shaking my did was cured with an alignment and a new steering damper.
I need to replace the bushings too but that can wait.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Old Man Emu

Frognip - Mine's a little older (87RRC), but I recently replaced the old shocks and springs with a taller ones from Old Man Emu. Also had a new steering dampener added, which helped with the shaking at high speeds - I had the same problem.

The ride is nice, a little stiffer than the old worn out shocks, but it retains that same Rover spongy feel.

If you plan on replacing the tires soon, I would recommend getting a little taller set up (up to 2 inch lift doesn't require additional suspension/drive train changes). It's helped a lot with off-road clearance and hey, it looks cool :cool:

·
Registered
674 Posts
g'day nip.....you can buy the bilstein and ome kits from many places, probably best is www.atlanticbritish.com - but it always depends on wheer you live.

My 95 classic LWB has the bilstein conversion - it is a very nice ride off and on road!

good luck - ps if you do it yourself you will need some good spring clamps to get the job done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just did one last month

I changed the air-springs into conventional ones on my '96 4.6 a few weeks ago.

I got mine from Atlantic-British, the "standard" springs set which includes the black-box to fool the ECU into "manual mode" without generating error messages.

After a month of usage, I think I should have gotten the "heavy duty" set. I'll probably get them b4 next summer and install them then.

The install is about a 3 on a 10 points scale if you have all the right tools.

I have no use for the air-spring system which I took out, it includes airpump, vulve set and 4 air-springs. Whoever is interested can have it by paying my actual shipping cost. Please note that I am in Hongkong and I have to check the cost after I know where to ship. (Important: I do not guarantee the workings of this system)

wchung

·
Registered
79 Posts
A lot of people like these kits:

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/epcProd...ookieID=1D00K4P561DS0LYGDO&clientid=motorcars

As far as eliminating the EAS fault messages, I believe it is as simple as a jumper placed in the correct pot on the wiring harness. The "black box" things are pretty much a ripoff.

Personally, the air suspension is one of the main reasons I own a RR, and I doubt I could be forced to part with it!

-Coach

·
Registered
46 Posts
air springs

hey, i am one of those guys that belives the factory knows better that me, as they do more research, so I try and keep my cars stock.

I would be interested in your air system in the event my '98 goes off. I live in Toronto Canada. If you let me know where you are I will figure out shipping cost.

Ps. many years ago I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 340ci 275hp engine which I swaped for a 440ci. 375hp engine which I then modified to over 475hp. I ruined the car by making it to frontend heavy and unusable for the street. I still have the origanal 340 and am trying to buy the car back and undo my mistake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Coach,

How is this jumper done? I like to not get the "black box" on my next conversion.

Thanks.

CoachDitka said:
As far as eliminating the EAS fault messages, I believe it is as simple as a jumper placed in the correct pot on the wiring harness. The "black box" things are pretty much a ripoff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steering Damper Installation

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the replies, it definitely helped me realize what I needed done to the car. I recently bought a bilstein steering damper, but was wondering if anyone knew where I could download free instructions for the installation? I don't have a mechanic manual for the car, but want to install the part myself. If someone knew the tension the shock needs to be set at also that would be great. Thank you\
frognip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts