Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying this landrover discovery SE the price seems right and the miles is a little high. But the truck for the most part is in good shape. My question is this was the first time driving one, and are they kind of noisy? I noticed if I am letting the truck cruise after I take my foot off of the accelerator it will make this kind of wine'n type noise? Outside of that it seemed to be pretty good. I do know that it has an power steering pump leak (small) and a small oil leak. No smoke is coming out of the exhaust. The only down side is that the sun roofs get's stuck sometimes. But I talked the guy down from $4,000 to $2800 and I know I can't get him to go any further! What other things should I look for on this vehicle? Thanks

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
2800 sounds decent but that doesnt mean you wont be spending twelve hundred to fix anything else.

Discos are cheap. But they are good.

The noise could be anything. IT could be bad bearings or just offroad tires.

any used car is always a crapshoot. have it inspected by a mechanic if possible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, The only thing is where the dealer is at there are no auto shops that I am aware of, since it's 60 miles from my house. I was reffered to one but they only accept appointments on Sats. And today was the day I planning on to purchase it. I am going to test drive it again, and what other things should I be looking for, as far testing it?
Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
I see you are in Colorado Springs, speak with Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers, good bunch of guys, they are at 2527 East Platte Place, 636 3888. Sounds like a great deal even if you have to spend some $$$$$ getting it up to spec'. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you I will do that! Thanks again guys! I also ran a carfax adn everything on there was good! :buttrock: Just waiting on the ole lady to get home, so that I can go give the guy the $$.. For my disco... Also I talked to CHris @ Pikes Peak, he made me feel pretty comfortable talking about disco's realiabilty! The only other dilema was that I also just saw a 1997 SE7 for $5995 with 40,000 less miles. But my attitude is that it's little over $3k more. Man decisions!!! Will keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally !!! I have my rover!!!!!! :clap: Now The salesman must of mesed around with it though cause I noticed the 4x4 ;ight is on? It's kind of dim so it's hard to read, but I believe the shifter is in 4hi, but the light is still on. ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
boogiedown27 said:
Finally !!! I have my rover!!!!!! :clap: Now The salesman must of mesed around with it though cause I noticed the 4x4 ;ight is on? It's kind of dim so it's hard to read, but I believe the shifter is in 4hi, but the light is still on. ?
Thanks
CONGRATS....You bought it!!!! You are in the same town as me....What are you doing sunday? I'd like to see this rig.....PM me!!!! Did any of my info help you at all? Just curious....Time to Rover.... :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it did, Thanks!!! Sunday I will be moving.. I will still be in the springs. Would love for you to see it. Also I just noticed something else. The doors? I tried unlocking this rig, and man!!! How many times do I have to take the key in and out? I am quite sure that's fixable? I talked to Chris over at Pikes Peak too also on Sat. I told him he already has my business.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
boogiedown27 said:
Yes it did, Thanks!!! Sunday I will be moving.. I will still be in the springs. Would love for you to see it. Also I just noticed something else. The doors? I tried unlocking this rig, and man!!! How many times do I have to take the key in and out? I am quite sure that's fixable? I talked to Chris over at Pikes Peak too also on Sat. I told him he already has my business.
does yours not have an alarm button?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are they easy to install? And are door locks generally that hard to get unlocked? Not to mention the door handles? I was thinking about shooting some WD40 in there if that would help? Also do you guys know how I can get my hands on a owners manual for this model? Thanks :drive:

·
MG
771 Posts
Welcome to LRO and LR ownership!

Your Disco should already have an alarm system installed - all you need to do is purchase the fob that goes on your keychain and program it. Funrover (and others on this forum) can help you do that...

Cheers,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys.. I love it all ready! The one link regarding the owners manual did not cover 95 disco's? I did play witht he gearbox lastnight, and I noticed when I pushed it over to left the lyellow came on showing the 4 wheels, and I pushed back to the right it went off. Now my question is I am still trying to fig. out if that red light suppose to stay on? All I know it says something x4? It's kind of dim so it's hard to tell. Now How can I tell if it did come with an alarm? Like I said I am still looking high and low for a owners manual for that model. one more question since my sunroof had got stuck when I opened it at the dealer I am leary to do it again. If it does get stuck, can I manual close it?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.