Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my brakes, rotors and pads. I've been looking around for the best kit and I came across the EBC performance kit at Atlantic British. I figured if I am replacing the rotors I might as well get slotted and drilled. I do drive where there are hills and I plan on doing some towing as well. I was told that this was a great brake set - Is there another product/company I may want to consider?

- Has anyone installed this EBC kit?
- Does anyone have feedback/advice on this kit?
- And is $549 a good price for the entire rebuild kit?

I will be buying a set in a couple of weeks, so any input would be great :drink1:

BTW - I would like to support sponsors of LRO, so if you guys have anything, please advise.

·
4,576 Posts
Great kit...BUT...you are going to be towing...I too do some towing and normally load the truck up with TONS of crap on the weekends...

What I've FINALLY decided to do is...

DBA Front Rotors with Kevlar Pads from AB,

and later

DBA Rear Rotors with w/e metallic pad ( EBC or LR - Lockheed )

The Kevlars will make damn sure you stop when towing...the brakes will heat up quicker and this is where Kevlar works best, with the addition of the Cross-Drilled Rotors, w/e idiot decided to cut you off then brake hard, has some chance of survival...
The rears will work during normal driving, after start up, hills- up/down, BUT they might be gone sooner than the Kevlars

·
Registered
61 Posts
If your looking into imporving stoping and fade then get some stainless steel lines, i do track with my motorcycle and the stainless lines are a great addition, so if your planing on towing and some off roading that requires feathering your brakes then i think this might be a worth while upgrade.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I should add that I will only be towing a few times a year... I'm looking into a small camper to get out into the wild :D Also possibly a HaulMark/WellsCargo type of enclosed trailer, no more than 10' for tools and such.

I just figured I'd spend the extra $$$ for the upgrade since I plan on having the Stormtrooper for a while :drink1:

·
4,576 Posts
A while???? MAN!! If you EVER decide to sell that thing...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Send a PM my way! I'll gladly buy it! As of NOW, that I still havent driven, and not even taken a ride in a Defender, I think I would choose your truck over one...I THINK!..lol But thats just so you get an Idea of where your truck is placed in my book

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
You should stay away from cross drilled rotors on a truck. Don't believe the hype, they will do nothing for you. The holes are there for 'looks' only and a little and I mean little upsprung weight savings...(edited in and they help vent out the gases but only a little... very little) like you need to care about that in a LR. Oh and drilled rotors are prone to cracks because almost all of them are drilled out plates and not cast that way. Cracks lead to breaks and when a rotor breaks... be somewhere else because its never good. Slots on the other hand help scrap the pads clean and keep them clean but inturn wear them out at breakneck speeds.
However having said that, your best money would be spent on getting a set of stock soild rotors for the strengh and getting them cyro-treated. They will last much longer and will help your stopping power because they won't heat up as much or as fast.

As for the EBC pads... their nice but can be dusty, I know from real world experience.

As someone else stated, get braided lines and get some ATE Superblue racing fiuld. It will stand up much better and longer than regular old DOT3 fiuld.

Hope that helps.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Stay away from the cross drilled rotors as they weaken the rotor itself in the day to day grind. Unless you are looking to lighten your unsprung weight or have the need to vent gases built up under prolonged severe breaking(ie:roadracing) stick with a solid disc, or the very least a slotted disc. I had to turn an old Improved Touring roadrace car into my daily driver because of some finacial reasons. To make a very long, boring story shorter, one night I was exiting the freeway, under braking with my four wheel vented discs the drivers side rear disc decided to disintegrate making for an interesting stop at the intersection. :buttrock: Thank god it was late at night and no one was around!(no I had not been drinking) The crossdrilleds look cool but inmy humble opinion they can not hold up to day to day street abuse like a solid or cross drilled rotor can. Especially in a heavy LR.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard a lot of great things about the EBC performance kits. They are actually dimpled NOT drilled and the pads have way less dust and have a longer life to them. I may just go with the kit since everything is included.

Thanks for all the input :beer:

Darknight - I am going to get the braided lines and ATE Superblue racing fiuld
Thanks!

·
4,576 Posts
ibjettin said:
thanks binary :drink1: :drink1: You are now on the top of the list of buyers if I ever decide to sell it. I keep looking at P38's and wondering... ;)
THANK YOU!! Although I am thinkin about Serg's truck..lol...DANG thats a nice one!!..lol...

About the cross-drilled rotors, very true, but with Miami's weather, i drive through water/mud more than I do anything else. I've wapred my rotors twice already for having mega heated rotors.

I did a disc-conversion on my 65 stang on all four corners with baer rotors and they worked amazingly!

·
324 Posts
If your wrapping your rotors you should have the next set cryo-treated. ;)

·
324 Posts
Yeah sorry about that IB ;)

Good news I come to Miami about twice a year ;) My friend has a condo in West Palm Beach area ;)

·
324 Posts
Sweet! My wife and I should be down again over the winter... long weekend kind of thing unless I can pull myself away from work ;) I was just down there in May/early June or so. Good times!

·
324 Posts
Yeah! You know IB is going to see all these responses to this thread and be like oh sweet! and then he'll come here and read them and well kinda be totally let down :wave:

nutt'n but love for ya IB :drink1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.