Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Just picked up a LR3 a couple months back and I'm looking to start doing some mods to it. I've been researching the lift rods but my question is, has anyone had or heard of any issues or damage to the bags when the suspension goes into super extended mode? I'm assuming I would've read about it if so but I wasn't sure how much extra travel the bags had in them. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Johnson Rods LR3, LR4 Lift Kit

The lift rods are simple and work great. I have customers that have used them for over five years and are very happy with no problems. Just get an alignment for full time use and you are good to go. Many Land Rover dealers purchase Johnson Rods directly for their clients and do the install themselves. That's a good endorsement for their quality.

Here is a link where you can see a lot of pictures of the lift kit being used.
LR3 Lift Kit, LR4 Lift Kit, Johnson Rods

[/IMG]

·
Registered
227 Posts
With the rods installed, you won't be able to access Super Extended Mode (unless you have been extremely careful about your rod height) but typically the 2" or so that people gain to fit tires eliminates Super Extended Height. If you try to select it, you'll get a suspension fault known as an "Out Of Range" Error. It goes away with a reboot but it sucks to get dumped into normal height when you need the extra clearance the most!

This is not unique to the Johnson Rods. I use the IIDTool for my lifting needs and have the same limitation.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I'd give Lucky8 LLC a look or call (716) 898-8153 last I knew their Proud Rhino Rods where much cheaper and are extremely good quality.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just replaced someones Rhino Rods today because they did not like the quality. Not the first time this has happened.
You get what you pay for and cheaper is not always good.
This person got their Rhino Rods as a free gift and still replaced them with Johnson Rods due to quality issues.
BTW, this person is sales manager for a Land Rover dealership.
Johnson Rods are the number one choice of Land Rover dealers and thousands of users around the world in over 45 countries.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Johnson how are those Kevlar MT/Rs working out for you? I like them....but am worried about the lower load rating.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I just replaced someones Rhino Rods today because they did not like the quality. Not the first time this has happened.
You get what you pay for and cheaper is not always good.
This person got their Rhino Rods as a free gift and still replaced them with Johnson Rods due to quality issues.
BTW, this person is sales manager for a Land Rover dealership.
Johnson Rods are the number one choice of Land Rover dealers and thousands of users around the world in over 45 countries.
I was trying to be polite and not bash johnson rods, just offer another option. I would expect better from a vendor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Uhhh....do you know Johnson's "posting history" on this and other forums? Shameless plugging and bashing of other concepts.

Bottom line, hard to consider "quality" on a part such as this. Not load-bearing; while it moves up and down a little, it is not something that is really going to break or cause problems. Hell I made a few of these mod-rods myself in my garage. Plus, in the vast majority of cases it's just better to go with an IIDTool (or the like) anyway.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks Johnson. I never know what to think about the Load Rating. I mean, on one hand shouldn't it at least be ~half the weight of the vehicle? I know I've been on 2 wheels plenty of times. On the other hand, I worry that you don't know if it's (not rated) high enough....until you know. Which is a bad day.

I'm glad they've worked well for you. I might check back in 2 years when I'm a more serious shopper and my time is up on my conventional MT/Rs.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Uhhh....do you know Johnson's "posting history" on this and other forums? Shameless plugging and bashing of other concepts.

Bottom line, hard to consider "quality" on a part such as this. Not load-bearing; while it moves up and down a little, it is not something that is really going to break or cause problems. Hell I made a few of these mod-rods myself in my garage. Plus, in the vast majority of cases it's just better to go with an IIDTool (or the like) anyway.
Sad but true I noticed they aren't a part of the community

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here is some helpful information regarding the lift, tire size and towing performance you may find interesting:

Greg:

I’ve been very happy with the Michelins – my first impressions relayed to Barry have held up. They’re quiet, ride great, and look good. They barely touch the ends of the frame rails at full steering lock with a bit of compression on the suspension, like when you’re backing out at the bottom of a steep driveway or in a relatively high speed u-turn in traffic. It’s just enough to polish the paint off the ends of the frame rails, but I’d opt for them again in a second. My passengers always expect the LR4 to ride like a Conestoga wagon based on the lift and tires, but it retains that amazing Land Rover air suspension ride quality, even better than the factory setup, probably because of the taller sidewall, though I bet that could be different with the load range E tires many folks choose. I picked the Michelins precisely because they weren’t load range E. I’m sure the guys who do serious and frequent off-roading are happy to exchange some cushy ride for the tougher sidewalls on the heavy duty tires.

Also been very happy with the towing performance with the Johnson Rods and tires, I attached one more picture for fun of how she looks with the travel trailer. The trailer is a 26”, well over 5k lbs loaded, and obviously pushes a lot of air. The effective higher gearing of the bigger tires works out beautifully with the transmission ratios – 5th gear is perfect for cruising at 70 mph. Before the change with the factory wheels and tires, 6th was a little too tall and 5th was a little too short for highway cruising. And on big hills, the downshift to 4th puts the 5.0L right to 3k rpm at 70 mph, which seems to be a great torque sweet spot for the engine and handles all but the steepest hills, which you usually wouldn’t want 70 mph for anyway. I had some concerns about it getting a little squirrely while towing with the extra sidewall squish of the 32” tires, but it performs beautifully.

Whenever you spend money to modify a car, the expectations are high and there’s usually some level of minor (or major) disappointment, but I’ve been exceptionally happy with the combination of the Johnson Rods, the Compomotive wheels, and the Michelins LTX A/T2's. Genuinely thrilled.

Best regards,

Mike

Wheel info here:

·
Registered
227 Posts
What wheels are those?

I have heard that it takes some effort to fit an 18" rim on an LR4. What has to be done? Also, the video on your website stated that the LR4 in it was on 33.5" tires but hardly looked modified. How was that accomplished?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Houm:
The wheels are black Compomotives.
The center hole in the rim is 72.6mm and the location on the car is
72.4mm - this is a tight fit to stop any vibration according to the manufacturer. Sometimes the paint (especially with the black) can get too thick on the wheel and makes it difficult to fit. I had this happen just this week with a client. He used some sandpaper to to reduce the paint around the center hole and it fit just fine. In his case two fit fine and the other two needed a little paint removed.

Wheel info here:

·
Registered
37 Posts
A programatic lift is extremely easy to accomplish and can also be switched very easily before and after an off road expedition. I can raise or lower my LR3 in just a couple of minutes from inside my vehicle. No physical modification of the vehicle at all and I can dial in exactly how much lift I need.

Something to consider

·
Registered
61 Posts
Johnson Rods LR3, LR4 Lift Kit

Land Rover Dealers don't use an IID tool to lift their vehicles for customers. They use Johnson Rods because they are the closest thing to the original part and it keeps the customer out of the computer system.
Here is an LR4 with a 2.5 inch Johnson Rod lift kit at a dealership with larger tires.
Johnson Rods have been boosting Land Rover sales for dealers looking to appeal to buyers wanting this off road aggressive look: Nice!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts