Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new metal transmission pan and updated filter, the one where you don't have to remove the cross member and the filter is separate from the pan, my question is, the pan I received has no drain plug. So when I do change my oil do I need to just loosen the 16 screws and tilt pan to remove oil, or do I siphon it out of the fill hole?

· Registered
525 Posts
To remove the old pan, just drain the oil, and remove the pan, cut off the neck and you can slip it out. Then you an refit the new one.

For draining the new one, I imagine you could just loosen the bolts and let the oil leak out. I wonder if mind has a drain plug? I need to have a look. There is also a specific bolt pattern for tightening you should follow. I believe the new one should come with instructions.

I would guess a shop would use a suction pump from the fill how to pump out some of the oil.

bear in mind the new pan will reduce the total oil fill by abut a quart, so follow the fill procedures.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey tlt thanks for the reply, I know about the sequence of tightening the screws. I also got myself a infrared thermometer to measure the oil temp. between 40-50 degrees. Quick question, do you use anything on the gasket to help seal the pan? My metal pan came with a gasket and all screws and filter. Whats the torque for the pan bolts? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.