Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! im new to the site. great sight btw. ive had my 99 land rover discovery 1 sd for about a year now and love her. shes diffenantly got a personality. i named her sheila. lol.
i noticed in the manuel that it calls for automatic transmission fluid instead of power steering fuild. i was wondering why and if you put power steering fuild in it instead what would be the result and possible damages?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome, you did bring beer right?? :D

Why ATF? All I got is that is what ZF designed it for. And YES ONLY use ATF, regular PS fluid will eat the seals fast. It's a mistake you will only make once if you own a Rover, BMW, or other euro car.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't know why ATF is required but have been obeying from the start. Got an oil change at one of the quick oil change places and realized afterward that the service guy had topped up all the fluids. I bet he used PSF.... so I sucked out the suspect stuff in the reservoir and replaced it with new ATF... Will Matilda (the Goddess of Discos) smile on me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. kinda weird they would design it that way but i guess.. so reason im askin is since i read this in the manuel i got recently i went out to check it and it sure dont look like atf. preivous owner didnt know how to take care of it from what i gather. ive been getting alot of repairs done since i got it. put close to 800 in it since i bought it a year ago.
so new question. how do i go about flushing the system and putting the right stuff in?

pazzo rover.. i only brought reds apple with me if thats ok :drink1:

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is how I've flushed the PSF.

First siphon as much of the fluid out of the reservoir with something like a turkey baster/ mightvac. Overkill but I still do it.

On the reservoir there are 2 hoses the one on the right going to the pump is FEED, the other on the left going to the TOP of the PS Box is RETURN. Disconnect the LEFT/RETURN Hose and PUT IT IN A BUCKET. Cap/plug the nipple on the reservoir.

FILL the Reservoir with ATF(I like Castrol), STAY BY THE RESERVOIR so you can keep it FULL and then have someone start the truck.

Run it until the old PSF pukes out the return hose and you see fresh RED ATF. KEEP THE RESERVOIR FULL THE WHOLE TIME!!!! This won't take long.

Remove the cap/plug on the reservoir and connect the RETURN HOSE. Now fill the reservoir with PSF and bleed the system of air.

Here is link for RAVE on how to Bleed the air . LOOK under STEERING>REPAIR>PS System Bleed. Only thing I would suggest is to spray the bleed screw on the PS Box with PB Blaster before you start and let it sit. Other than that....that's it. :clap: Time to drink.

http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/D1_Workshop_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
95 Posts
Last thing, and now I will sound like your dad..... Be careful! The pressure the PS pump puts out is NO JOKE. Be sure the return hose in the bucket is facing the ground and not your eyes etc.

In the RAVE manual link look at STEERING> PS System TEST and you will see what I mean about the pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.