Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4.0 isnt suffering from this but I have read much about the cylinder sleeves comming out of place for a lot of post 95 D1 owners. My questions are...

1)What causes this?

2)What can be done to prevent it?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Poor construction, by the company Rover used to make their engines.
There is nothing you can do about it so don't worry.
Mike J.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMAO...Thanks Mike...very comforting..lol Really though, the way you put it is hilarious! But thanks anyway.

Now, here comes another...

Since these engines are based on a Buick block design, can these sleeves be removed and have the cylinders overbored to have some larger pistons put in? Not that I'm planning on doing this but can it be done??? I had my 65 Stang's engine overbored from 289 to 292ci...I saw an increase in power of course, and after I put the four-barrel and a 2.5 inch exhaust, even saw some increase in mileage on the highway (city miles became worse!)

· Registered
229 Posts
?

01001010 said:
LMAO...Thanks Mike...very comforting..lol Really though, the way you put it is hilarious! But thanks anyway.

Now, here comes another...

Since these engines are based on a Buick block design, can these sleeves be removed and have the cylinders overbored to have some larger pistons put in? Not that I'm planning on doing this but can it be done??? I had my 65 Stang's engine overbored from 289 to 292ci...I saw an increase in power of course, and after I put the four-barrel and a 2.5 inch exhaust, even saw some increase in mileage on the highway (city miles became worse!)
It can probably be done, Would be expensive and i don't think the cast alum
block is made too well.

Buick gave up on these engines for a reason ?

· Registered
229 Posts
Engine swap

01001010 said:
Good point.

Which are the engines that most people who do engine swaps go for...the 4.2s??? How well are these things put together?

If i were looking to swap a petrol engine in a landrover i would drop a GM350
engine in ,they last forever , have power and parts are up the ying yang.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose one would have to change the bellhousing as well. I was mentioning the swaps within the RoverRealm, but if i were really going to embark on such a feat to swap my engine out, you better believe I'd be going with any of the TDs!!! :buttrock:

· Registered
229 Posts
TDI's

01001010 said:
I suppose one would have to change the bellhousing as well. I was mentioning the swaps within the RoverRealm, but if i were really going to embark on such a feat to swap my engine out, you better believe I'd be going with any of the TDs!!! :buttrock:

I have thought of doing that as well a 300 TDI conversion is probably in the
15k and up range , I will wait till my engine self destructs before i consider
which way to go.

· Registered
229 Posts
No littering

01001010 said:
Im starting to think up some crafty ideas for the future. I'm hoping that my current engine will make it through my USA Expedition Next Year and my Central/South America Expedition in 2008.

If you haul it in you have to haul it out ? Your truck will look like this on the
trip home :D

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Can't pull the sleeves, they are the hardened material the oistons need to run in, the alloy of the engine block is too soft to be honed out for larger pistons.
mike J.

· Registered
229 Posts
01001010 said:
Lmao...what???
Just kidding, I knew someone who rented a jeep for an in country expedition
in costa rica and they accumulated so much crap that they started to jettison
**** along the trails and out of nowwhere the federales showed up and beat
the f*** out of them and threw them in jail for three days plus fines :bawling:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.