Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 07 Lr3 with the HD package but no nav/4wd monitoring screen. I checked the vin and it does have the rear locker. And it has the full size spare underneath.

I was wondering how do I control the diff locks if I don’t have the monitor. And how can I tell when the rear kicks in.

I have taken it off-road quiet a bit since I bought it and would like to know about the diff locks.

Thanks all
Jp

·
Registered
292 Posts
The short answer is you don't.....the computers do all the deciding for you.

The long answer is that if you put it in Rock Crawl, there is a pretty good chance that the rear locker is going to activate as the torque threshold for locking it up is lower. You still won't know that it's happening, though, except by the lack of hearing the TC kick in much.

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 on 33’s
57 Posts
Sand mode on mine locks it as much if not more than Rock Crawl mode.

I've considered wiring and indicator light to my locker, so I can see it go on and off without looking at the nav screen 4x4 page... then I'd replace the screen with a new device with more functions. That is honestly the ONLY reason I keep that horribly dated screen lol.

ALSO, if you get a GAP tool, you can monitor the diff(s) in live mode and see them on and off on your smartphone. OR if you install a new screen in your cubby (android models with apple car play look nice, even if it is from China) you can have the GAP tool app up on it and feel like you are light years beyond the factory set up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have any examples of set ups for the gap tool. I only wanted the navigation screen for the 4wd system monitoring.

·
Registered
2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8
27 Posts
Anyone have any examples of set ups for the gap tool. I only wanted the navigation screen for the 4wd system monitoring.
The Gap IID tool with Bluetooth connects to a phone, so my recommendation is put at cheap phone or tablet in the cubby where the nav unit usually is. I think there are YT videos on how to get an iPad to turn on when the car turns on by jail breaking it. If you want to go the extra mile, put a hinge on it so it will open to the cubby and have a secret compartment ✌

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
there's got to be a more cost effective way to track the lockers... not to say the gap tool isn't great or the iPad isn't slick.

Reactions: PatriotLandyTX

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep. Idiot light wired to the relay. Put the light Down by the park brake switch or between center stack and instrument cluster.

Better yet, do a small illuminated push button and get manually engaged lockers when you want them and auto engaged like they are now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Idiot light wired to the relay. Put the light Down by the park brake switch or between center stack and instrument cluster.

Better yet, do a small illuminated push button and get manually engaged lockers when you want them and auto engaged like they are now.
wish I knew how to do that lol I’m horrid at Electrition and wiring stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Gap IID tool with Bluetooth connects to a phone, so my recommendation is put at cheap phone or tablet in the cubby where the nav unit usually is. I think there are YT videos on how to get an iPad to turn on when the car turns on by jail breaking it. If you want to go the extra mile, put a hinge on it so it will open to the cubby and have a secret compartment ✌
Is the gap I’d tool a chip?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is the gap I’d tool a chip?
Gap Diagnostics is an OBDII interface tool that connects to your vehicle via the OBDII port under your dash. The better version is Bluetooth and connects to a phone or tablet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts