1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
22s and 20s will be suitable for one thing, The urban club.

They will suck as road tires. First off every bump will be felt. The vehicle will pull because it will follow the crown in the road. when you damage the rim or get a flat you will be driving on a very small spare. The vehicle itself will lean and the vehicle will be damaged by the small tire. Secondly you will only be able to go a short distance and at a low speed.

as mentioned before it will turn on ABS codes and in your case many other nifty lites will magically appear.

The vehicle will not go offroad. Besides why would you waste an investment of all that money to go offroad and damage the wheels. Plus they may rub in the down position or normal or offroad height.

Landrovers are designed to go offroad. The Land Rover Sport comes with a set of twentys but it has a newly designed steering rack that absorbs the bumps. Secondly, the sport is designed to go offroad and on with those twenty inch tires. It wont be easy but it can do it.

Your 22s wont work and cause more problems the dealer will be happy to make you pay for. They may even cancel your warranty for the hell of it after you show up at the dealer with those rims on.

your wasting your money. If you want to look good cancel the order and get a sport that is supercharged and has a set of twentys on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re

Sounds like good advice but I really would like to go 20"..
Again.. what does this mean?
Offset +15/+35
PCD 100 - 139.7

If you were to upgrade on alloys for urban driving, what wheel/tyre and size would you choose?
Land Rover have an upgrade of 19" for 2,000euro which is expensive.
I thought it might better buying through china and this wheel looks great..

thanks again appreciated
:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Graham76 said:
If you were to upgrade on alloys for urban driving, what wheel/tyre and size would you choose?
Honestly, if I were going to use my Rover strictly for on-road driving with no chance of ever leaving the road (lol!), especially on an LR3, I wouldn't exceed the wheel size available stock. Not only is it tacky and overdone, but it's quite detrimental to the handling of the vehicle, and on the LR3, it'll throw a bunch of error codes.

I know giant alloy wheels are some sort of fashion statement, but save yourself the headache and stick with 19s at the largest, and put good street tires on them. You'll save a ton of money down the road, and if you're lucky, you may retain some shread of dignity. Beezel said it quite well, it's not worth it to do 20s or larger.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i run 22's on my range rover at all times but winter and don't have a problem with them. As for the offset, get the RWD with a higher offset. This is so the wheels can clear the brakes and sit in the wheelwell with a good stance. You need a high offset for all land rovers because of the wieght of the vehicle and the stance that is needed for stability etc. Do not use the rims off road, or even in snow, as salt used for the road eats away at alloy. I change my 22's out for the winter for that reason, and i like to off road. PM me if you need more info. :wave:

·
Registered
367 Posts
98RRover said:
i run 22's on my range rover at all times but winter and don't have a problem with them. As for the offset, get the RWD with a higher offset. This is so the wheels can clear the brakes and sit in the wheelwell with a good stance. You need a high offset for all land rovers because of the wieght of the vehicle and the stance that is needed for stability etc. Do not use the rims off road, or even in snow, as salt used for the road eats away at alloy. I change my 22's out for the winter for that reason, and i like to off road. PM me if you need more info. :wave:
Two problems there. One, the Range Rover has room for larger wheels than an LR3. And two, your Rover is almost eight years older than his. The LR3 has a good many more sensors than a '98 RR does.

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
I can give an advice here . Next time if you want to ask a qwestion like that . Ask only what you need to know .

Like ( What is the ofdset on the rims for LR3? ) with that number you can figure out what rims you need .

Now Since There is a problem going big like that . Then Just Avoid the problem , and go with a solution that Will save you the head ache .

You want to "pimp" your LR3 out . So If you have to get wheels , get them in the same size as the stock ones are , but in the look that you like . No one can't tell you not to spend your money. If you want to buy an Iceburg , and ship it to africa , You can do that. People will tell you it's a waist of money . but if that makes you happy , do it .

Same thing here . You want to have a havy crome wheel that will bling , go for it . Some people will tell you that it looks stupid , But if it makes you happy. That's all it counts .

But Yeah I personaly Would not get 20" . Most of my friends want me to get 20" . I tell then to GAFTS . I would like the Range Rover 19" . they look nice .

But all this talk about rims .

What is the bolt patern on Disco II and LR3?
Casue I would like to get rims . and i know it's 5-120mm , but is it the same as 5-4.72" or something like 4.__ " ?
I'm going the junk yard rout to get my self some winter/off road wheel :) .

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
IF you really want to go 20" then go for it :) , just keep in mind of the downsides. Since this forum is mostly based off of LR heritage/off-roading we might have a bias look upon putting high dia. wheels on a rover. Also from a logical standpoint, the only thing they do is "look", even for basic street use they actualy preform worse then the stock wheels with good tires.

·
Registered
734 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
Honestly, if I were going to use my Rover strictly for on-road driving with no chance of ever leaving the road (lol!)
:lol: You are killllling me...........

Hmmm.... second thought, I wonder if some spinners would help my Classic with wading? Maybe turn them into propellers....... :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
DallasRover said:
:lol: You are killllling me...........

Hmmm.... second thought, I wonder if some spinners would help my Classic with wading? Maybe turn them into propellers....... :D
HAHAH yeah the BLING wading system, thats awesome. unless its in waters where there are barracuda they like shiny things

·
Registered
367 Posts
TsiArt said:
But Yeah I personaly Would not get 20" . Most of my friends want me to get 20" . I tell then to GAFTS .
Yeah, when I first got my Disco, people kept trying to talk me into buying giant chrome spinners for it. Never mind the fact that they cost more than 4x what I paid for the truck, gotta have the bling!

DallasRover: If you can find a way to make spinners even vaguely useful, you win a cookie :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.