Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Bad Mileage

So what year and how many miles do you have on your truck??
I see you're in Clolrado which hurts you for mileage. How long has it been since you changed cap/rotor/ wires/plugs or the O2 sensors. Don't just jump into additives first.
When you are finally ready, B&G's 44K is the best followed by SeaFoam then Techtron. Lucas puts out a great gass additive but it is more of a maintance producr.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, the year is 95 and miles is 160K. I bought it used last week. Not sure when the plugs were changed last, I was thinking about that myself today. Cause going up hills it's kind of sluggish, and then it's like :beer: Bottoms up as far as gas. I noticed that I need to back off of the gas pedal some...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay then, what type of plugs should I use? Also pull the wires too? Atleast it looks like they are easy to get too? On my cutlass there's headers and that's always a fun job. Is there a certain way to change them on rovers? I might as well ask before I jump straight in? :drive:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Tune up time

So how mechanical are you, and how well do you want your truck to run???
Assuming it has just had the average service done over the years.
Check the cap and rotor first, if they are looking warn, then plan on replacing them as well as the plug wires and plugs. I would use 8mm plug wires and Bosh Platinum Plus 4 plugs.
Then Buy a quart of engine flush, follow the directions then change the oil, 20/50 wt. oil.
Buy yourself 3 cans of SeaFoam from a Napa auto parts stores or where ever you can find it, one for the gas tank, one for the engine ooil and the last one for the induction system.
When this is all done, and it is still running, go drive it hard, see how it run. If you then want more power, replace the O2 sensors and look out.
So are you ready to get started??
Mike J.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whew..Just when I thought my constant under the hoods days were behind me :mad: LOL..I know how to changeplugs, oils, etc..But the extreme stuff no! But willing to learn. Especially if it saves me some $$$.

So I am ready! But this may sound dumb, but should I have the undercarriage looked at first? Regarding my issue with the frotn passenger wheel boeing a tad? A neighbor that is mechanically inclined said that it maybe a wheel bearing? He said that it felt like there was some play in that wheel? See all of this is wonderful timing, I suppose to be moving in the upcoming week me and my kids, and I am relying on this Rig to get me through the wonderful winters here in Co. plus since I am about too be single again, I know chicks dig rovers? Atleast that what I am hearing? LOL...

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hey man, DiscoMike has never steered me wrong since I bought my truck. I did everything he just told you to do and my rig runs great. I think he meant 20w/50 sythetic blend like Castrol. Substitute a quart of Lucas gear oil too. Roll up your sleeves. You have a lot of good guys out there in Colorado. Several of them are on this forum. Hook up with them and let the good times roll.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do, trust me, I have been reading a lot of you guys post! That's why I bought the truck, cause there seemed to be a lot of knowledgable guys out there, that's why I knew I could count on you guys! Funrover has given me a lot of good advice also! So Let the fun begin!!!
Thanks again GUYS!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Service time

Thanks for the kind words, Mr. X

Boogiedpwn,
Just shout is you want to be walked thru any of this, it will be a walk in the part.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
From personal experiance......seafoam in the injection system may bebad for your catalytic converter

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
roverX said:
Who needs cats? :D

That was a jab at myself for DiscoMike's sake. He knows what I'm talking about. I had to port my cats and muffler b/c the cats went out and I didn't change them so the whole system got clogged up. I eventually changed them after driving with them ported for a while - actually sounded like a V8!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
roverX said:
That was a jab at myself for DiscoMike's sake. He knows what I'm talking about. I had to port my cats and muffler b/c the cats went out and I didn't change them so the whole system got clogged up. I eventually changed them after driving with them ported for a while - actually sounded like a V8!

My driver side one died today..... I want to just hollow it out and bbe done.... But i decieded to do it the legal way....DARN ME :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.