Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Disco II, my vehicle has 18" rims which I suppose is due to the performance package? Anyway I want to get some black rims, the only ones I have found are 16". I have been fishing around the forum and I see alot of you use a 16" Bridgestone I believe, my question is if I put 16" on my vehicle will it have any negative effect on my ride? Are the 18" wheels just for looks or does it have a purpose? I figured there would be some price difference on the 16's tires that could be enough to justify getting the black rims I want since my tires need to be changed. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
216 Posts
18" rims are for looks. Offroad you would want the 16's for performance. More rubber and stronger sidewalls = more offroad capabilities. Many offroaders that buy their landy's with 18's trade their wheel's in for 16's. Most dealerships will tell u this after buying a Land Rover.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Tires and Wheels

DC1,
16" titres will actually give you a much better ride, alot more sidewall to absorb the bumps.
There are lots of wheels and tires to choose from.
If you plan to do some serious wheeling along with being the daily driver, put some 265/75/16 BFG MT's on and go play.
Mike J.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, no off roading for me, just some snow in mammoth in the winter. i m going to compare prices on the 16's and 18's if the difference is big enough maybe get a set of the black rims I want and go with 16's. Thanks.

·
2,986 Posts
Tire selection in 16" rims is a lot easier and mostly cheaper. That being said, if its just black rims you are interested in and not offroading with them, then consider powdercoating or spraypainting them black.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your Disco has 18" wheels because it has ACE. I consulted with LR about converting to 16" rims for offroad and their advice was don't. Apparently the ACE system generates intense downward force in hard cornering and has been know to push 16" tires off the rim--according to LR. Hence the 18" wheels are standard on Discos with ACE. However, I did discover Discos with ACE that had 16" wheels--all were overseas (not USA). I do not know if the 16" tires that were pushed off are a 1 in a million incident (the LR person I got this from did not know) or if they perhaps were running low tire pressure. It is possible this is simply an attorney directive. Any LR folks out there who can elaborate on this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of getting them coated but here in Los ANgeles can't seem to find someone that does them, still trying that would probably be the easiest way. If anyone knows of a place please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Big Kat said:
Your Disco has 18" wheels because it has ACE. I consulted with LR about converting to 16" rims for offroad and their advice was don't. Apparently the ACE system generates intense downward force in hard cornering and has been know to push 16" tires off the rim--according to LR. Hence the 18" wheels are standard on Discos with ACE. However, I did discover Discos with ACE that had 16" wheels--all were overseas (not USA). I do not know if the 16" tires that were pushed off are a 1 in a million incident (the LR person I got this from did not know) or if they perhaps were running low tire pressure. It is possible this is simply an attorney directive. Any LR folks out there who can elaborate on this?
All the DIIs here have 16" rims including the ones with ACE.

Off roading in the dunes we run at 12psi and have not heard of any tyre coming off due to ACE, poor navigation yes but not because of the ACE / Tyre combination

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.