Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so once again I have a possibility to xfer back east,,,not definate, but worth looking into. Could be,,,VA, PA, NY or MA. So my questions are for wheelers,,,as I would be leaving 4-wheelin' paradise if I took the position.

I some good info on VA,,,and used to live in MA, but how are the wheelin' opportunities in NY state and PA ? Sometimes watching the boards I get the feeling like N.E. wheelin' is kinda like U.K. wheelin',,,not a lot of trails, too many rules, etc. Feedback appreciated. Also, how are the vehicle regulations? Are regs on bumper height, etc enforced? How are the cops regarding built-up rigs? Are there vehicle inspections in NY or PA? Any other info on wheelin' in these states appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
If it were a choice between NY state and PA, go with PA. Im currently in Central PA, but lived in NY almost all my life. Inspections in NY are MUCH stricter than PA. PA (at least my county) has gas cap emissions and visual emisions check. NY (Long Island) had dyno+tailpipe emsiions (but 4wd are exempt from the dyno but still face the tailpipe emissions).

Offroading in NY(specifically LI) is illegal...Cops write tickets for tresspassing and can impound vehicles. There are no offroading parks( that I know of) in NY. PA has 2 offroading parks (RC and Paragon) and a 3rd is being planned. You can also legally offroad in most PA State Forests. Ive been inside 2 state forests, and there are signs clearly posted "Motor Vehicles allowed, ATV's not!" or something to that effect.

I still miss NY for other reasons....The Adirondacks

:bawling:

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Guy from work told me about http://www.jonfund.com/

I live in southern CT , but they go to MA sometimes and Northern CT .

They do some serious offroading for my blod :) . So I don't see my self spending that kind of money just yet . My bro wants to build up hi Heep Cherokie , so that's when I'll sing up , so we can share the experiance . I go on baby stuff , he will go on serious for me stuff .

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sven said:
Offroading in NY(specifically LI) is illegal...
:bawling:
Illegal?? In the entire state? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! I'm not sure I can go back to the east coast,,, ,,, freakin' bullshit ass laws,,,it's getting like damn Europe. We need a revolution

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
SCSL said:
Illegal?? In the entire state? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! I'm not sure I can go back to the east coast,,, ,,, freakin' bullshit ass laws,,,it's getting like damn Europe. We need a revolution
Actually, in countries like Spain you will find some offroad events held right in the major cities (like Barcelona or Madrid). Vacant lots are setup as obstacle courses right smack in the middle of the city. Talk about FREEDOM!!!

NY state does have some legal trails but they are in upstate NY. Sven is right, there are no legal trails on Long Island but who wants to go to LI to wheel anyway??? The Island is overcrowded and filled with poseurs.

If you are interested in wheelin' then I would recommend VA or PA over the NY, CT or MA.

As far as cops bothering you in NY (outside of LI of course) they really don't hassle much with your off-raod mods. The inspection stations are private garages so they don't care about your mods as long as you pass emissions and meet the safety requirements.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Im talking about Long Island (not sure about upstate NY)...there is NOWHERE to wheel legally. There are some hunting grounds that have access roads (sorta offroading) but you need a hunting license to be there, and if your caught there and your not hunting...you're in trouble. Its a joke..

BTW The handgun laws in NY are super-restrictive: You have to wait 6 months for a permit. This is a permit to own, not to carry. Carry permits are almost impossible in NY.
In PA: Goto Gun store, show PA drivers license, gunstore runs a $5 instant background check, 5 minutes later walk out with handgun. A carry permit is as simple as paying $15 at the sherriffs office, write down 2 references, walk out with carry permit.

Here's a pic from last weekend in PA, a LEGAL state forest trail 10 miles from my house

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool that makes me feel a little better. It would be upstate NY, if it was NY at all. I could not live in LI, was never a consideration (no offense to Islanders out there),,,

·
Registered
388 Posts
SCSL said:
Cool that makes me feel a little better. It would be upstate NY, if it was NY at all. I could not live in LI, was never a consideration (no offense to Islanders out there),,,
Consider the Albany/Saratoga area: Its got plenty of jobs, housing, culture but is real close to the Adirondacks. If I were to move back in NY, thats were I'd go :drive:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
sven said:
Consider the Albany/Saratoga area: Its got plenty of jobs, housing, culture but is real close to the Adirondacks. If I were to move back in NY, thats were I'd go :drive:
culture???? sorry man, I live 13 miles north of the GW bridge and I thought my area had "culture" but I feel like I'm in the boon docks...

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might want to consider Queens. The potholes I have to negotiate everyday makes even the Black Trails at Paragon look like a piece of cake. Cirus could tell you about the "bumps" in front of the bus depot near the Whitestone movie theatre. If they get any bigger I'm gonna need sliders to make it through them. :D

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
There is no end to the amount of good offroading in New England. There are a few jeep websites with info on huge tracts in the upperstate NY area.
Much of western MA had very limited restrictions on offroading, most of the local cops are glad to point you to some better trails. Half the cops also wheel anyway. NW CT has lots of better-than-average terrain and easy, unrestricted access.
IN NW Maine, you can drive offroad on the paper company land for days. They charge a very nominal fee, and there are check posts. They need to know when you're 'coming out' so they know whose lost or dead. The Allegash Wilderness can keep you coming back for years. If you're on the logging roads, such as the Golden Road, watch out for, and give way to the logging trucks, they have the right of way, use all the road they want, and go 75, best to have a second filter in your line for fine dust.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Terry this is great news! I would love to live in northern NE but alas,,,won't fit w/ the job. Best I could do is Mass,,,a bit concerned about property values. We'll have to see how things transpire over the next few months,,,I could be meeting up w/ you guys to go wheeling next season,,, :drink1:

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Best part of where I live in NY is that I can get to most areas of the northeast in under a 4hr drive. I hadnt been off-road yet, but that will be changing soon. Once you get north of the city you should find plenty of places to off-road and like I said you can take a weekend trip to plenty of off-road places around the north east area. I am a few hour drive from at least 1 off the off-road parks in pa as well. The only place that is a longer drive would be to certain parts of Maine. Mass would be a good central place to live to get to different off-road trails throughout the region. Plus if you can get a long weekend from time to time it would be no problem going to northern parts of Maine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
John C said:
culture???? sorry man, I live 13 miles north of the GW bridge and I thought my area had "culture" but I feel like I'm in the boon docks...
Well.....Albany is as close to NYC as you can get up there, in terms of culture. PA has its own distinct brand of culture......(said in sarcastic tone) :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
sven said:
Well.....Albany is as close to NYC as you can get up there, in terms of culture. PA has its own distinct brand of culture......(said in sarcastic tone) :D
I think folks in PA are friendlier than in upstate NY :wave:

·
Registered
291 Posts
as long as you don't come to NJ, im in central jersey and there is no legal place, but there are farms everywhere, and i can outrun a cop off road :D although if you go south to the pine barrens im sure you could have fun. Are there any places in PA near the NJ border? Im not too far from PA. i can get to Rices market in 30 minutes if that lets anyone know where i am?...Thanks

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Roversclub has an event in PA on the 13 of Nov.

·
Registered
47 Posts
John C, have you been following the thread there (at Rovers)? They are going to Robesonia on the 13th, Rausch Creek on the 19th, and the muddy oval group (including myself and Ryan and Rick and others) are going to Rausch Creek on the 26th of November. Hope you can join us on the 26th.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I highly recommend coming to Virginia, especially a non-urban area (ie, not NoVA/DC). I live in Harrisonburg, which is a little-known city with a population of over 40,000, and it sits right between two national forests. There are enough trails here to go wheeling every weekend for years and never hit the same trail twice. Also, the local cops are pretty lenient about off-road rigs (since most of them are out there with us on their days off), and as long as you're kinda-sorta-almost following the laws, you're fine :)

Plus, we have Southern Hospitality, so c'mon down and stay awhile :beer:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.