Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive called around and found someone thatll do the head gaskets and water pump for 1700.. I already have all the parts. My question is, should i do this myself? Im not new to working on cars just a little intimidated.. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being blinking and 10 being child birth) where would this be?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on the engine? If over 100,000 miles you should also do the oil pump repair kit and the timing chain set since they are both under the front cover.
If you are supplying the parts, $1700 is a decent deal.
Where are you planning on buying your head gasket set/bolts? Might want to consider buying the German made set sold at British Parts of Utah as well as a new set os STI wires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the kit, bolts and water pump from British Atlantic. I just hate to pay for something i can do. At the same time though, the truck has sat for 2 years waiting on me. I stopped driving it when it started leaking out the back of the passenger side.. On the chain should i just do stock chain and gears?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
OK, then send me your number and lets see about talking you thru it.

·
certified idiot
692 Posts
There is nothing magic about a land rover head - if you are a competent DIY mechanic you can do it. The worst thing is getting the rear bolts out (they are almost under the bulkhead) and when torquing the head you need to do the final tightening to an angular measure, easy to do but it seems to intimidate some.
good luck
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update.. i had every bolt in labeled sandwich bags, and every electrical connector labled and the drivers side head off in about 4 hours.. everything went REALLY smooth.. then i moved to the passenger side and broke 2 craftsman sockets, rounded 3 snap-on impact sockets, and some where along the lines broke a snap-on ratchet.. that was on the 1st.. i still dont have that head off.. i put a 18V electric impact 3/8 drive 166 ft/lbs on it last night.. and still nothing.. probably just gonna set it on fire..

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
Hi
It's always difficult to remove head bolts without pneumatic tools. Trying to loosen them by hand you will tend to twist off of being at straight right angles, cordless 3/8 impact gun is not going to cut it.
1/2 inch drive "electric" impact gun would be an option if a 1/2 inch pneumatic gun is not a possibility (no compressor with large capacity air tank) also try as short a socket with minimal or no extensions to minimize torque loss
Don't burn it..... The marshmallows will have a funny aftertaste anyway ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts