Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racks 'n Bumpers

So, I've had my '95 SWB for only a week, but I've already been bitten hard by the accessory bug. In that vein, I have a few questions:

RACKS
It looks to me like the most common safari racks are the Brownchurch, the Hannibal, and the ARB half-length rack. Does anyone know anything about the custom racks from Rover Solutions (http://www.roversolutions.com)? I like the tubular design, and the way that it wraps down over the edge of the roof. Any other suggestions for racks? I need something that can carry a lot of equipment, as well as support attachments for kayaks and skis.

BUMPERS
It seems as though the consensus is that the ARB is the front winch bumper to go with. Does anyone have any experience with the Safari Gard model? I like the rear ARB bumper, as well, but I'd like to keep my stock hitch receiver. Has anyone installed the ECR rear bumper? It looks as though it will allow me to keep my stock receiver.

Cheers,
drew
'95 RRC SWB, Green

· Registered
1,506 Posts
drewbam said:
So, I've had my '95 SWB for only a week, but I've already been bitten hard by the accessory bug. In that vein, I have a few questions:

RACKS
It looks to me like the most common safari racks are the Brownchurch, the Hannibal, and the ARB half-length rack. Does anyone know anything about the custom racks from Rover Solutions (http://www.roversolutions.com)? I like the tubular design, and the way that it wraps down over the edge of the roof. Any other suggestions for racks? I need something that can carry a lot of equipment, as well as support attachments for kayaks and skis.

BUMPERS
It seems as though the consensus is that the ARB is the front winch bumper to go with. Does anyone have any experience with the Safari Gard model? I like the rear ARB bumper, as well, but I'd like to keep my stock hitch receiver. Has anyone installed the ECR rear bumper? It looks as though it will allow me to keep my stock receiver.

Cheers,
drew
'95 RRC SWB, Green
Rover Solutions might take a while to get.

There are other rear bumpers with better departure angle and thicker than ARB or SG.

· Registered
674 Posts
Not sure if the SWB was the same as LWB - but if you have the two front airbags you are SOL for a front winch bumper - unless you disconnect and remove the airbags, along witht he two crush cans in front. At least that is what I have been told - not sure if it 100% correct - some gurus here may know better.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love to hear more on the airbag subject. What I've heard is that the bumper may affect the car's sensitivity to airbag deployment, but that the ARB bumper, for instance, will still bolt right on, regardless of any crush cans, etc.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,
drew

· Registered
388 Posts
drewbam said:
I'd love to hear more on the airbag subject. What I've heard is that the bumper may affect the car's sensitivity to airbag deployment, but that the ARB bumper, for instance, will still bolt right on, regardless of any crush cans, etc.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,
drew

Drew, you're absolutely right. It bolts on. Just have to relocate the tranny cooler about 1/2 higher.

· Registered
44 Posts
I have a Surco rack attached to my Thule crossbars. The rack goes from the back the the edge of the sunroof. I use the rack all the time and have never had any problems with it. It is aluminum therefore very light.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Do you have a 95 with the Disco interior? I don't think you have crush cans.

Do you really need a winch bumper and a roof rack?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have both a '95 and the Disco interior. Not sure about the crush cans, but I've been told that all airbag vehicles have 'em.

Yes, I really need a winch bumper and a rack. I don't plan on driving it to the mall much. I have a BMW for that.

· Registered
424 Posts
jeffreydv said:
I have a Surco rack attached to my Thule crossbars. The rack goes from the back the the edge of the sunroof. I use the rack all the time and have never had any problems with it. It is aluminum therefore very light.
:eek: Did you get stuck in teh picture? Are your floors really sealed well enough to do that? If so, let me know anything you did to protect!

· Registered
44 Posts
I took in a couple of inches of water in that pic. I have removed the foam from under the carpet and currently I have no carpet at all. On the RRC the carpets are easily removed and replaced. The foam is quite thick and sucks up water like a sponge. If I didnt hit the water so fast I most likely would not have gotten stuck. I sucked quite a bit of water into the air intake system and some water got into the distributor. I have since installed a homemade snorkel and may be replacing the engine driven cooling fan with electrics.

· Registered
3 Posts
drewbam said:
RACKS
I have a Rover Solutions full rack on my RRC. If you look at the pictures on KVT's site you will see the green classic. That is my truck and rack. I love the rack. I think its the best thing available for classics.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
jeffreydv said:
The ECU is sealed in a plastic container. I had it get wet once and had to take it apart and disassemble it. THe next week I sealed it up and havent had any problems since.
Jeff,

what about moisture that might get trapped in the container, has that been a problem?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WillTN said:
I have a Rover Solutions full rack on my RRC. If you look at the pictures on KVT's site you will see the green classic. That is my truck and rack. I love the rack. I think its the best thing available for classics.
Thanks Will. I, too, think that the Rover Solutions rack is one of the best looking racks out there for the RRC. I think that I may end up getting one from Northwest Parts in Portland, OR, however, as their racks look nice, and are about half the cost:

http://www.northwestparts.com/VoyagerRacks.htm

Yes, they look a lot like Safety Devices racks, but, they are less expensive, and they make one for the RRC. As a bonus, I may be able to drive down to Portland from Seattle to pick it up.

Cheers,
drew

· Registered
44 Posts
John C said:
Jeff,

what about moisture that might get trapped in the container, has that been a problem?
John,

The ECU was sealed when it was dry and no moisture has been observed in the container even after it was submerged. I look at it this way: if the container was sealed on a relatively dry day, the only moisture in the container was what may have already been in the ECU prior to sealing. If the ECU worked fine before sealing it should work fine after. So far so good for over a year now.

· Registered
674 Posts
OK - So just wondering guys...anyone with a 95 disco interior with crush cans and two airbags....has anyone fitted a winch bumper/brushguard winch to it on the front??????? Racks are a no brainer, I am more concerned about airbag deployment when you do not need it - or some other "issue" with putting a winch bumper on the front. I would love to have one!!!!!!! PICS are always good.

· Registered
388 Posts
Yeah I pretty much covered all the issues in my above post ..
The crush cans are part of the original bumpers brackets, so when you remove the bumper, the crush cans come off. The ARB bolts on exactly like on a 94 or below.
The SRS system is probably more sensitive now without the crushcans, but the SRS light was on when I bought it. So since the light is on, I have no SRS.

I can post pics of the tranny cooler relocation if you want?

· Registered
424 Posts
jeffreydv said:
John,

The ECU was sealed when it was dry and no moisture has been observed in the container even after it was submerged. I look at it this way: if the container was sealed on a relatively dry day, the only moisture in the container was what may have already been in the ECU prior to sealing. If the ECU worked fine before sealing it should work fine after. So far so good for over a year now.
What did you seal it with? any pictures? thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.