Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the radiator, is the flow from the top to bottom or bottom to top. Once I get my rover going again I'd like to take and put a sort of in line spin on filter before coolant goes thought the radiator. That is unless that is someone out there that makes a kit. That way solids are blocked before they enter the radiator.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
hot water always goes in at the top and comes out at the bottom - straight physics - cooler stuff drops and hot stuff rises.

The in line filters are OK but only stop particulates - the deposits in the radiator are from hot liquid cooling - as it cools chemicals that are held in suspension in the hot water precipitate out in cooler water and you get the tubes crudding up.
the only way to get rid of them is to dissolve them in something else (not water, usually a mild acid) and flush them out, or physically rod them out. Probably the most common one used in the US is the aeroflow

I had one for a time in a cast iron motor and caught some crud that could have caused a possible problem but overall in an alloy engine probably not worth the trouble.
cheers
Barri

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Well maintained motors shouldn't have issues with solids in the coolant, so a filter isn't really necessary.

On top of that I'd be more worried about the filter actually doing it's job, trapping some crud, and then creating a blockage which leads to an overheat.

Just invest in quality antifreeze, use distilled water, and you'll never have to worry about deposits.

·
Registered
356 Posts
agree. if you have things floating around in your cooling system then you have bigger problems than something a filter can solve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.