Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator was leaking from the top screw. I have no idea why any intelligent people would design anything so stupid.

I got a new radiator, does have those 2 holes. Any idea how to install now? do I use those holes? they did not send any screws. Radiator is same as original.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can you provide more details on what screws you are talking about? There are two screws on the top outside edge of the radiator that hold part of the fan shroud in place, but the do not penetrate the water jacket of the radiator, unless somehow a wrong screw was used whereby someone drilled into the radiator for a longer screw (which would ruin the radiator). These are the only screws on the top of the radiator that I can think of. I'm guessing this is a Disco II??

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Yes, re-use the screws you have.
As for the wisdom of the design, it works long enough for the truck to be out of warranty!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you provide more details on what screws you are talking about? There are two screws on the top outside edge of the radiator that hold part of the fan shroud in place, but the do not penetrate the water jacket of the radiator, unless somehow a wrong screw was used whereby someone drilled into the radiator for a longer screw (which would ruin the radiator). These are the only screws on the top of the radiator that I can think of. I'm guessing this is a Disco II??
Please check this conversation & should give you some details. Yes they are those to screws. after investigating further I realized if you tighten little bit it will make a whole in radiator or crack. Bad design at best

Coolant leak from the screw on top of the radiator on drivers side: Recommendations? - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, I see. I didn't realize it was such a problem with these screws, but always wondered why they would put basically a sheet metal type screw right into the top of the radiator which is plastic. I like the idea of using tie-wraps in lieu of the screws. If I reused the screws, I would use a small flat washer with them like the other forum recommended & use caution when tightening so as not to split the plastic! Good luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I see. I didn't realize it was such a problem with these screws, but always wondered why they would put basically a sheet metal type screw right into the top of the radiator which is plastic. I like the idea of using tie-wraps in lieu of the screws. If I reused the screws, I would use a small flat washer with them like the other forum recommended & use caution when tightening so as not to split the plastic! Good luck!
Or just cut the darn screw to make the point go away and put some sort of rubber sealant inside. This is the most idiotic think I have seen in my life.
Now we know why everyone is having the same issue. I will probably come up with some bracket to make look good and not touching the radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.