Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I need to replace the radiator in my '02 with no SAI and have come to the crossroads with the SAI vs. Non-SAI radiators. I've seen mixed comments on whether a SAI radiator will work in a non SAI equipped Rover or not. Some say the only difference is a plug for a sensor and some say it won't work at all. Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hey all. I need to replace the radiator in my '02 with no SAI and have come to the crossroads with the SAI vs. Non-SAI radiators. I've seen mixed comments on whether a SAI radiator will work in a non SAI equipped Rover or not. Some say the only difference is a plug for a sensor and some say it won't work at all. Anyone have any input?
Why not buy the correct radiator in the first place?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm trying to determine. I'm having issues finding non-SAI radiators or some don't have whether they are or not listed. I don't plan on buying the wrong but many don't specify.

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I've gathered the SAI equipped radiators have an extra port or two for a temperature sensor. It's possible that they can be used on both but I can't confirm that or not. They also cost a lot more than a non-SAI.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I have a couple rads (used stuff ) that I have acquired along with my numerous d2s.
I have looked closely at the s.a.i. And non s.a.i. Rads and the only physical /visual difference is an additional sensor port in the lower portion if the passenger side tank on a "with s.a.i." Truck. I have even had a non s.a.i. Rad in my 2002 with s.a.i. (For test purposes , long story) it does fit just fine.
I'm thinking that some aftermarket companies my only sell 1 as a "fits all" with a port that you can use or leave plugged up.
May not be the best quality rad and I agree that you are likely best to buy a good quality one from a reputable manufacturer BUT to answer the question about "will it work" yes it will work

·
Registered
188 Posts
the only physical /visual difference is an additional sensor port in the lower portion if the passenger side tank
Good to hear from someone who's seen it. Thank you. There's a reference to the "Thermostat Monitoring Sensor (where fitted)" that's in the EMS section of manual. Is that coolant sensor used in SAI system? Thought it used ECT? As long as it's not broke doesn't really matter.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Good to hear from someone who's seen it. Thank you. There's a reference to the "Thermostat Monitoring Sensor (where fitted)" that's in the EMS section of manual. Is that coolant sensor used in SAI system? Thought it used ECT? As long as it's not broke doesn't really matter.
Glad to see we can finally agree on something;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.