Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my fifth Rover, a disco 2 about a year ago and have replaced the water pump, thermostat (soft spring), fan and fan clutch and have done a complete flush on the system and am running conventional green coolant in place of the dexcool. Last year it was running great on the highway at a steady 194 degrees. Now, it actually runs hotter on the highway than in town I have seen temps up to about 217. When it gets to higher temperatures it takes a while to cool down unless i turn the heat on (which is one of the reasons it makes me think radiator) The truck has never overheated since I have owned it. My thoughts are its one of the following 1) radiator needs replaced 2) head gaskets 3) paranoia on my part (mostly due to overheating my disco 1 and getting slipped liner)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Do you hear the electric fan come on at 212 degrees? How many miles on the engine, are you loosing any coolant?
If over 100,000 miles, my money would be on a new radiator cause these D2 radiators do plug up and flushing won't clean them out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sitting at about 94k miles. The electric fan does not come on at 212 or when the air is on. I was going to try to figure out this issue first and then tackle that. That wouldn't have any bearing on it heating up like this though would it? I do understand that it would help bring the temps down faster though.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
That fan has to be running or you chance doing damage to your engine.
This is a common failure, and they are expensive, you might want to call Paul Grant, his number is in my signature section, he sells good guaranteed used Disco parts for a lot less then new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, thanks for the. I replaced the radiator and aux fan motor. Not too bad of a job. Temps are consistently around 188-194. Awesome! This is with the hd fan clutch, new water pump and lower temp soft spring thermostat as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is the fan something that should run after you shut off the engine to continue cooling? If not, how do you know it is running? Can you tell by just looking under the hood?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the fan something that should run after you shut off the engine to continue cooling? If not, how do you know it is running? Can you tell by just looking under the hood?
The electric fan comes on with temps over 212 or if the A/C is on. If you turn the key to the on position with the a/c on, you should hear the fan come on immediately, at least that's the case in my 2001 D2

·
Registered
322 Posts
The electric fan comes on with temps over 212 or if the A/C is on. If you turn the key to the on position with the a/c on, you should hear the fan come on immediately, at least that's the case in my 2001 D2
Tks. I'll check that. I haven't had any over heating problems so I'm guessing its fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts