Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, :smile

New here. Husband and I just purchased a 2005 LR3. The car is in terrific shape and was well cared for. We've only owned it a few weeks.

Unfortunately, we've got a situation. Our teenager drove it to school and didn't noticed that the sun roof was opened. It remained open for six hours--and it rained two inches that day. The car was soaked on the inside. The floor carpeting, seats--everything was drenched (the cup holders each had an inch of water in them, as well!). :eek

We're drying it out, and using the wet vac to suck up the water.

The first glitch we noticed is that the parking-break light is on. I drove it around the block and it drove ok. Now, my husband thinks the parking break is stuck on. Husband removed the plastic rear and front rocker panels (both L,R sides) and he found the left rear wiring harness submerged in water. He removed the water, but it is still not completely dry--but we've opened up the car (in the garage) and are airing it out as best we can. Tonight, I hear something in the garage and I find the wipers going. The keys were not in the ignition. As the wipers were going, the message on the control panel read, "Keys in ignition." They were not. We unhooked the battery and the wipers stopped.

Has anyone experienced an LR3 water adventure like this? I'd love to hear any opinions about what exactly is going on, and what we are looking at for repairs. My husband and I are pretty decent with tackling car maintenance and we owned a Land Rover that we worked on quite a bit. We're just not sure what we're dealing with here. We haven't ever dealt with flood/electrical issue before. Any insight or resources that may help--would be so appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time and for any information! --Angela and Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, pretty much all of the electrical wiring runs in the floorboards of the vehicle. The main trunk is in the passenger foot well. What my suggestion would have been at the immediate time, and may still work, would be to close up the vehicle with a dehumidifier inside to remove all of the moisture. It sounds to me like you need a new wiring loom since the moisture has had time to corrode the wiring and connections in the floor. I know not the best news.....does insurance cover this??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.