Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of gas and had my 95 Disco towed home. The engine wont start I'm sure because of the fuel lines drying up. I think the fuel pump may have burned up but are there any special tricks i could try in case it didn't. Cause I dont want to replace the pump if thats not the prob. Also, is the fuel pump included in the gas tank recall? If so, i'll just take advantage and bring it in. Anything would help...thanks

· Registered
50 Posts
Hello cas,

I feel your pain

I am having simular fuel related problems at this time, try first to put gas into the tank, at start up, let the key stay at the ignition on position, you should hear a happy whirring sound from the rear of your disco of the pump working.

If so let it run until it locks off. repeat this process a couple of times, then under the hood on the spray bar you will see a valve cap( just like for a tire )for the release of fuel pressure (discovered this when recently replacing my fuel pump) VERY gently press the valve in with a small screw driver, etc... and see if you have a good squirt. get an amount of cloths ready to mop up the spare fuel.

If anything, you get just air then at least you are bleeding out the air from the fuel system and you will eventually get just fuel.

I found this worked for me, I hope this is good advice for you, If anyone else can develop on this please do.

Good luck,

John.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
You may have a plugged up fuel filter, very common on Rovers, change it plugged or not if it hasn't been done in the last couple of years. May also be the fuel pump relay, also known to fail as is the pump.
Can you hear the pump fire up when you first turn the key? Have someone turn the key while you listen thru the cargo floor.
Good luck,
Mike J.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
fuel tank recalls do not include the pump. If the vehicle comes in with a no start problem and the pump is bad then you pay for a new pump.

Check with the service writer for more details and to see if your vehicle qualifies under the recall.

Also if you ran it dry you need to check to see if you got fuel pressure first after filling it up.

IF you aint got none then a filter will do nothing. THe pump needs to diagnosed for power and ground. Also check pressure at the pump. turn on the pump and disconnect the lines. if it spills it and keeps going. YOu got pressure. but the pressure still needs to be checked for accurate readings.

also to what is the status of your battery. You may have to charge it up. Not to mention clean the sparkplugs just in case you flooded it due to a bad battery or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.