Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just carried out and engine swap on my soft dash range rover, it had the 3.9 serpentine belt engine and I swapped it for an earlier type engine out a 92 range rover that I have just finished a top end rebuild on.

I have had a look at it and its getting a spark, and fuel pressure is good at the fuel rail. I don't know how to test if the injectors are working correctly but I put a test light on one of the connectors and it flashed about 2 or 3 times a second as I cranked the engine over but it seemed to be very dull.

I also sprayed easy start in and it still wouldn't fire, so I don't have a clue what to try now.

Any help would me much appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the spark bright white or kind of yellowish? I've had the same issue. I had a visible spark, but it wasn't enough to run the beast. A new coil and condenser solved the problem. Check out all your connections to the coil for tightness and corrosion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ignition timing 180 degrees out? injectors should be ticking - use an automotive stethascope sp? to determine. if you shot starting fluid in there then is probably ignition related, either ecu driven or timing driven or as stated weak spark. i dont know the differences in the 2 engines that you are using.

·
Registered
106 Posts
One quick thing to check is to pull a couple spark plugs after you've tried starting it and see if they are wet or smell like fuel. If they are wet then the injectors are most likely functioning.

while you are pulling spark plugs it may be worthwhile leaving the #1 in and putting a wrench on the crank and turning it through a couple revolutions and finding TDC on the compression stroke for the #1 cylinder. With only the #1 plug in you should feel resistance when approaching TDC on the compression stroke of #1, then turn until you reach 0 degrees TDC. Once there remove the distributor cap and verify that the rotor is pointing toward the location for the #1 spark plug wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts