Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...
I am new to this forum...so...I would like to send a greetings to all!
I have a problem that I know someone out there can assist with. I am the proud owner of a 2001 Range Rover, 4.6 SE. It is outfitted with the Harman Kardon soundsystem. I am trying to install an aftermarket radio in this vehicle while still using the factory amps (plenty of power) and speakers (which I'll change out later). I can't seem to find a fitment harness that will allow me to plug and play a radio into this vehicle. I really have no desire to cut the wiring.
Is there anyone out there that has done this? It has an Alpine Radio...so...does Alpine maybe make a radio that will work in place of this one? Does anyone else make a plug and play radio that might work?
I want more capability and the only way to do it is to change this radio but I can figure out how to make that happen. Any assistance would be awesome!!
Thanks!!
Rob

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think you'll have to cut the wiring. Do you still plan on using the CD changer in the rear? Good luck finding an aftermarket stereo that'll work. Other than that, you can just match the wire leads on the back of the radio, but the problem I see is using the factory amps. If your new unit has preamp outputs, then maybe you can use it, but you cannot just connect the speaker outs on the new unit to the door amplifiers. Also, there is a security lead and an amplifier trip that turns the powered amps in the door on when the radio comes on. For your model, there are also going to be wires for dynamic volume control which adjusts volume to your roadspeed. Finally, there are steering wheel mounted radio controls which will be defunct with a new unit. Why get rid of the factory h/k? It sounds nice, and has plenty of features. Upgrade the speakers, maybe, but keep the factory look and features of the stock unit is my opinion. Of course, it is your truck so do what you want! Does it have navigation, by the way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I can appreciate what is currently installed in my RR...the headunit is obsolete. It has a cassette deck and even though it has a changer...I would like to play MP3's and have additionally control capabilities that this unit cannot offer. This setup doesn't have a nav system installed but to be perfectly honest, I really don't have a need for a nav system. I guess the bottom line is that I know what needs to be done...but I don't want to cut up the wiring. Additionally, I believe the factory amps and speakers are pretty much just fine. But the head unit itself definitely needs to go.
The Disco II has the same exact headunit and setup...so...I just need to see if the same harness they make for that model will work on mine. I am checking on the plug wiring now...so...we'll see what happens. Thanks for getting back with me....no one has been able to answer this question...and it seems alot of folks just changed out the entire system and bypassed all the factory stuff.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Changing out the entire system is the easiest option as it allows you to install whatever aftermarket system you want, however, in your situation, as you only want to change the headunit, I'm of the opinion, that the wiring loam to the radio between later model RR has not changed, therefore, it's a good bet that you could just plug in a new headunit. However, at worse, you may need to find some electronics shop to make up an adapter lead.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey, i do a lot of audio and visual stuff for my truck, they don't make harnesses specific for a range rover. You need to go to an audio shop and have them splice the wires and hook it up the hard way. It can be done, and its not that bad. You will lose the steering controls unless you add on a new amp because of some wierd power thing that my buddy explianed to me since he owns a shop, but i had no idea. In the end, you can have it done for pretty cheap, but don't do it yourself without the know how. I wrote down what wires equal what somewhere for something like this but im not sure where it is. If I find it I will let you know, that way you can do it yourself 2. Hope everything works out!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
98RRover said:
Hey, i do a lot of audio and visual stuff for my truck, they don't make harnesses specific for a range rover. You need to go to an audio shop and have them splice the wires and hook it up the hard way. It can be done, and its not that bad. QUOTE]

I think that's what I said/meant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all....thanks for the responses. I spoke to a dude in England (Nexxia) and he just recently worked with someone with my very same model RR. He says this connection is a straight up ISO connection and that no harness is required. It's just a straight up plug in connection to an ISO radio He DID say I may or may not lose my amps....that I needed to experiment a bit. However, with that being said...if I plug in a radio and lose the amps...all I should need to do is connect the amp turn on connection(s) to the single blue turn on wire from the ISO wired radio and I should have a good signal. So...bottom line is that I'm gonna rip out the radio...and see what the connections look like. Thanks again all....if anyone else has info on this or has tried this...please get with me....I plan on doing this in the next few weeks....so...I'll definitely post my results! Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
best buy wired up my new head unit to my dash. they originally said that they would have to bypass my amp, but after all was said and done my amp was fine and they just had to cut the wires and install a new harness that was compatible from my disco to the Pioneer deck. I did lose my CD changer though :( Best Buy does installations for 50$. cost me about 110$ because i wanted the ipod wire installed too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you just wanted to put a mp3 jack in your rover roverville can do that to your factory stero so you can keep your changer and every thing stll works ok
their sie is www.roverville.us it's only like 130 for the upgrade and they can fix any porblems you have with your factory radio

·
Registered
159 Posts
if you just wanted to put a mp3 jack in your rover roverville can do that to your factory stero so you can keep your changer and every thing stll works ok
their sie is www.roverville.us it's only like 130 for the upgrade and they can fix any porblems you have with your factory radio

this is actually the best option in my opinion. the HK system is tuned and balanced to the car and works very well. the head units do tend to go and roverville are the guys who can sort that out or provide a refurbished unit that's a straight replacement. If you're going to change any part of it, you may as well rip it all out and start afresh. can't see the point in going halfsies. But as was already said, its your car!

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's a circuit here for hooking up an aftermarket headunit to the factory amps. The guys who have done this reckon the factory headunit is the weakest part of the system.

I would replace the whole lot. The speakers aren't 'tuned and balanced', that's marketing rubbish, they're nothing special. Have a look at the plastic grille covering the midbass in the bottom of the doors. If there's more than a 5% void ratio I'd be stunned. Might as well not be a speaker there.
I've replaced the 3 way front with a pair of 2 way components, and relegated the factory midrange and tweeter to CB duties.

Not sure how you go about hooking up the factory subwoofer, but then again I've heard whoopee cushions with more impact and tonal accuracy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There's a circuit here for hooking up an aftermarket headunit to the factory amps. The guys who have done this reckon the factory headunit is the weakest part of the system.

I would replace the whole lot. The speakers aren't 'tuned and balanced', that's marketing rubbish, they're nothing special. Have a look at the plastic grille covering the midbass in the bottom of the doors. If there's more than a 5% void ratio I'd be stunned. Might as well not be a speaker there.
I've replaced the 3 way front with a pair of 2 way components, and relegated the factory midrange and tweeter to CB duties.

Not sure how you go about hooking up the factory subwoofer, but then again I've heard whoopee cushions with more impact and tonal accuracy.

Good link!

Two thoughts about the marketing rubbish: first, don't look at me, I'm not trying to sell him anything! And secondly, if I were and if I worked marketing at Land Rover I'd hardly put in a system with 11 speakers, 5 amps, speed-dependent auto volume, optional telephone and NAV interface with attentuation, blah blah blah and all without bothering to do any kind of testing or tuning whatsoever. I'd put flash 20" wheels on as standard instead of those dull 16s and 18s et voila! In fact that's what they did when they changed the target clientele from English gentleman farmers to blinged up urban rappers with the L322. But then I don't work for LR so what do I know.

In the end all "factory" car audio systems are mutts. Not only do they have to compromise by trying to cater to every kind of listening taste but they have to deal with a lousy acoustic environment, inside a rolling tin can lined with foam, fabric, leather, bits of plastic and the odd human.

Which is why I agree with you about replacing the whole system. You get it to sound the way YOU like it and good for you! We're all just sharing ideas and offering opinions here, no more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could try
eBay UK Shop - Sounds 4 Wheels: Car cd players, car wiring adaptors, navigation
I have no connection with them. Don't know about amped output, could ask them?
click on the link and go to Wiring Adapters(17) and then click on the Range Rover one.

Range Rover Car Audio Wiring Adaptor Lead - They say:

You are purchasing a unique lead which is not commercially avaliable from anyone else to enable easy fitting of any aftermarket car audio unit into all Range rovers with the pictured stereo.

The standard range systems have an external amplifier and non standard ISO connectors making it impossible to just plug an aftermarket car stereo in. The pink plug shown in the picture is a 10 way iso connector which carries all the low level signals including one for the subwoofer in the rear nearside quarter panal.

The power iso connector found in the range's aperture is wired differently to a normal one making it even more difficult to just plug your new stereo in.

We have an established car audio business and have spent a long time developing this lead which will get the best from the Range's audio system.

This lead will still utilise the Range rovers on on board amplifier

The standard Clarion made unit is quite troublesome and cost's and arm and a leg if it go's wrong to put right. At the end of the day it is only a rad/cass!!.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The standard range systems have an external amplifier and non standard ISO connectors making it impossible to just plug an aftermarket car stereo in. The pink plug shown in the picture is a 10 way iso connector which carries all the low level signals including one for the subwoofer in the rear nearside quarter panal.

The power iso connector found in the range's aperture is wired differently to a normal one making it even more difficult to just plug your new stereo in.
For GBP35 !!! You can fit an 8way ISO into the Rangerover 10 slot, and then you need to add a pair of spade type connectors to pick up the 2 you've missed. The power iso they're talking about doesn't make much sense. Mine plugged in with a standard harness no problem. It doesn't say anything about converting the output signal to make it suitable for the amps.

I spoke to a friend who works in an audio shop when I was doing mine and he reckoned you couldn't simply hook up the RCA (low level) outputs from the headunit; if you did you were likely to get whine through the speakers.

Rasheed, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'd say LR has called up HK and said we want a truck load of speakers and you have a budget of $15.99 per car, then they slapped them in the door panels where there was space and without impacting on overall aesthetics, switched it on and said, yep good enough.

Look at the new 2010 RR, option of a 19 speaker 1200watt system for US$1350. Who needs 19 speakers? Tell me that isn't the marketing department driving the design. 7 speakers is plenty, maybe 9 for 5.1surround. 19 speakers would just get very messy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could try
eBay UK Shop - Sounds 4 Wheels: Car cd players, car wiring adaptors, navigation
I have no connection with them. Don't know about amped output, could ask them?
click on the link and go to Wiring Adapters(17) and then click on the Range Rover one.

Range Rover Car Audio Wiring Adaptor Lead
I bought this recently. It works brilliantly. The standard stereo in my 1998 Range Rover had died on me. I now have a brand new Alpine installed and it is loud. The only drawback was that I no longer have the use of the controls mounted on the steering wheel.

·
2000 4.6 hse red
1 Posts
I think you'll have to cut the wiring. Do you still plan on using the CD changer in the rear? Good luck finding an aftermarket stereo that'll work. Other than that, you can just match the wire leads on the back of the radio, but the problem I see is using the factory amps. If your new unit has preamp outputs, then maybe you can use it, but you cannot just connect the speaker outs on the new unit to the door amplifiers. Also, there is a security lead and an amplifier trip that turns the powered amps in the door on when the radio comes on. For your model, there are also going to be wires for dynamic volume control which adjusts volume to your roadspeed. Finally, there are steering wheel mounted radio controls which will be defunct with a new unit. Why get rid of the factory h/k? It sounds nice, and has plenty of features. Upgrade the speakers, maybe, but keep the factory look and features of the stock unit is my opinion. Of course, it is your truck so do what you want! Does it have navigation, by the way?

ok guys, i have a 2000 4.6 hse rover. I recently installed a pioneer avic n3 dvd/cd/nav combo(single dinn). You indeed have to cut the wires. If you have a harmon kardon system, below is the correct wiring codes.

thick white w/ pink stripe= power +
black=black/ground-
light blue with black stripe is remote turn on wire+(amp)- exclude cutting this
single purple wire=yellow/memorey/accessory+

speaker colors are in a seperate harness
red+/red w/ black stripe-
blue+/blue w/black srtipe-
yellow+/yellow with black stripe-
green+/ green w/ black stripe-

this is guaranteed, but be careful not to touch the positive wires on anything, doing so will burn out your audio contol modulator, and you will then have to bypass it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's a circuit here for hooking up an aftermarket headunit to the factory amps.
I bought the Nexxia adaptor kit for the Clarion and can tell you all that the design just doesn't work. There is too much buzz,

However, I have reworked the design and I now get quite good sound (maybe not to rogan's standards :) ) but good enough for me and with almost inaudible buzz. When the engine is running and the aircon going, the buzz is inaudlible.

For details read this thread (I've linked to the last part with the circuits): RangeRovers.net • View topic - Head Unit upgrade (again....)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.